Streaming from Mbp 09 to Xbox360(new with built-in wifi and HDD)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ohrstrom, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Hi. I have a mid 09 Mbp 13" and the latest model of the Xbox 360. Ive usually watched movies via either bluray or avi's, mainly because my usb goes into the bluray but the bluray doesnt support a whole lot of different formats, recently I read that the Xbox does though. I was wondering wether it would be possible to skip usb bit and simply stream it, I have a cable modem connection and use a CG3100 Netgear modem which I "think" works as a router and I have wireless connections between both xbox and macbook on it. Anyone able to shed some light on this?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

As the topic says, stream from the Macbook Pro to xbox without having to use medias, like usb or discs :)

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I've think Vuze does that, you can set it up as a media centre to be recognised by the 360.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure how the xbox handles it, but for my PS3 I can:
    Plug in USB drive w/ movies
    BluRay/DVD
    Streaming through Vuze or other 3rd party app
    Netflix, etc. direct app
    For everything else, Thuderbolt-->HDMI

I'd also say that USB is preferable to streaming, even on my beefy connection I'll get some stuttering on high action scenes and FF/RW don't work great.

6. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted

You can also use Plex to stream to your Xbox 360. I'd recommend Ethernet connection for both the Mac and Xbox for any HD content. You can encode the Blu-rays using MakeMKV / DVDfab to Handbrake. Use the Apple TV 2 or High Profile presets and you'll have a m4v that plays back fine on the Xbox 360.

7. stevebubble macrumors member

Strangely for thee Xbox you can use a programme called ps3 media server http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/. You just install that in your mbp.

It allows you to stream blue ray movies to the Xbox. Only downside is you can't skip chapters or rewind / fast forward.

Rivet is another programme I use when not streaming blu rays.

8. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I've been using Connect360 to stream media to my Xbox 360 from my Mac. Works great over Ethernet and Wifi.

9. Ohrstrom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Thanks alot, I will look up some of the programs and see which I like the best. :)