streaming music from HD+ Airport Express to apple tv 4

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by kerouack, Jul 13, 2016.

1. kerouack macrumors member

Hello,
    I am traying to find an app like Infuse but for music instead of movies.
    And app to be able to stream the music that it is in my HD attached to my airport extreme to my apple tv 4.
    I would be great a good interface and to be able to see the cd artwork.

Thanks

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Plex requires a server.

4. kerouack thread starter macrumors member

Thats what i thought, Plex does not work with an HD connected to an airport extreme.

I want to listen to music without using the computer, but connecting from apple tv 4 to my external HD (in the airport extreme). Like i do with videos with Insufe app.

It does not seem something very strange to do.

Thanks

5. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Maybe convert your audio files to video with a black screen, and use Infuse, or get one of the new WiFi HD's with Plex Media Server built in.

6. kerouack thread starter macrumors member

7. Lumpy05 macrumors member

I suggest iTunes Match, put all your music into iTunes. Sign-up pay for iTunes match. Use Apple TV built in music app to access all your music full quality w/ coverart. Or just run an old Mac/PC with iTunes and your hard drive of music works almost as well.

8. kerouack thread starter macrumors member

I would prefer to just listen to the music that i put in my HD. It doe sno tseem so complicated, just an app to acces the audio files in the HD.

9. Lumpy05 macrumors member

That app is iTunes you will need to leave the computer running and use home share to access the music files on ATV4.

10. lemonkid macrumors member

You can also use MrMC and there is another app. called Video Player AVI Fast.

The last one is the oddest app that I have come across since it can play more than you can imagine and it is not expensive. It even has been free in my account for a long time. Also an app called Video One can do this but that app is not my favourite because when you encounter a problem there is no one you can ask fro help. The developers won't respond to any question.

With Video Player you may also not get a response, but i never ran into a problem with that app..... The only thing it can't play is 5.1 sound etc. But maybe it has just been aded.

HOWEVER!!!

The sound quality of the ATV-4 is extremely bad (for music). It is a shame that apple decided to resample all music on the fly from 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192Khz etc. to 48Khz. The 48Khz standard is used in the film industry, but in music the format is different. That is due to historic reasons and not related to quality issues. Even when you set your ATV4 to pass the sound through is will change it.

That's why I play my music from a HD with my AVR. It has a much better quality and no jitter. With the ATV4 you also get a lot of jitter since it sends the signal as PCM to your receiver and because of the changes it makes. It would be better to somehow 'push' the flac files (or other preferred format) to your receiver as my Synology NAS does. But Apple has no idea about sound quality... (is my opinion..heheehe)

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

From the Apple TV 4 Specs:

12. steven0320 macrumors newbie

FileExplorer for TV can stream music, video and photos from AirPort Extreme to Apple TV. Try out the free version!