Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cappers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Currently running latest iOS 11. I have iTunes Match and normally steam all my music when out and about on 3/4g. In the main it works fine, but the odd few tracks, when I play them on 3/4g I get the message “ Connect to wi-fi or mobile network to play music’ and it won’t play. When I then play it on wi-if, it works. Switch off WiFi back onto 3/4g same message and it won’t play. I have all the relevant mobile permissions on to allow it to play on 3/4 g ( it must be, as others do) but the same few do not. I’ve tried reloading the tracks back into my iTunes library and syncing my iTunes library, but makes no difference.
Anyone any ideas???

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
interesting.
is it always the same tracks that do this?
are these tracks originally tracks that you input via CD or something like this and iTunes Match is using yr original file since it might not have a match within iTunes. and therefore the size or the origin of the track has something to do with it?

cappers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Yes the same. They are either ‘matched’ or ‘uploaded’. It must find them somehow as plays them fine on WiFi.
One common thing seems to be they are tracks which are full mixes of CD’s without gaps ie one large track either ripped or downloaded just over an hour long. I have tried deleting from iTunes and re-importing, but no difference

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Sounds as if might be bumping up on 150MB download over cellular limit (depending on bit rate track was ripped at).

cappers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Sounds as if might be bumping up on 150MB download over cellular limit (depending on bit rate track was ripped at).

Sorry not sure what you mean. I’m not aware of a limit to stream? Can you elaborate if you don’t mind?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It also happens on purchases from ITunes Store

Are you referring to app purchases or media? If apps, yes, a limit has always been there for cellular downloads. A year ago(? or so), limit was upped from 100MB to 150MB, but if the app is >150MB, you will get the notice that need to install via wifi. Not sure about media as I believe I have never bought songs, videos, books over cellular, only wifi.

Guessing something similar going on with iTunes Match. From what I recall, it's not true streaming. Music app will start to play a track as soon as it has sufficient buffer, but winds up downloading the entire track and caching it on the device. So, would not doubt the underlying cellular download limit is in play here as well.

cappers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
It’s media, music. It is music already matched/uploaded iniTunes Match/ iCloud music library, that I would want to stream to my device
Just resorted my media by side. Seems the issue arises over 143 mb. However it is not consistent. For example, something at 145mb won’t play, but 148mb will

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.