Streaming Netflix To TV

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coffeemadmanUK, Jan 30, 2013.

1. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you're going to do this on a regular basis, you might be better off just getting an Apple TV (though, wait for the new one coming out soon). that way you have a device that not only streams netflix directly, but lets you airplay other audio and video form all your iOS devices to the TV.

3. coffeemadmanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

It seems a little more expensive to do that though. Plugging my phone into the TV is the same thing. I'll only use it for:

BBC iPlayer
    Netflix
    LoveFilm
    4oD
    Sky Go

Ultimately I need one that will support the most of these. As far as I can tell, Apple TV supports just the one, and is £99. I'd rather spend £39 on a cable that supports more.

Unless you mean Airplay will allow me to stream ANYTHING on my iPhone - so ALL those apps. Is that what you mean?

Edit: Upon research, 4oD do not support Airplay either. So that wouldn't work for me.

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

SkyGo does not support Airplay or HDMI out via cable. Without jailbreak there's no way to watch skygo iOS app on anything but the device its on.

5. coffeemadmanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

No I understand there are things that won't - but unless there are *more* of the list that support Apple TV over HDMI I won't buy it.

Still - does anyone know if Netfix will stream?

6. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Yes, if you get the HDMI adapter, NetFlix and almost any other app will stream to your TV.

Since the adapter is $40, and the Apple TV is $100, I'd go for the Apple TV personally.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If u go through phone, won't the image be downgraded to 960 x 640 pixels...?