Street racing bill passes Florida Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...hKRGNdr9Xog12LFHe8xOONVdeSik64x62DMjMB3-Tmq4w

i hope they ALL go to jail :mad::mad:
    oh wait,,,,,,,, pretty slippery slope there. :(

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

A lot of countries will prosecute if a traffic offence is committed and caught on a dash cam. I’ve submitted quite a few videos to the police of maniacs risking other people’s lives and two were prosecuted.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if the video does NOT show the FACE then there should be no conviction........

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Isn't this how many cases are built? I'm not seeing how this is such a bad thing.

5. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

I agree. They might convict an innocent guy.

OTOH, I have no problem with them impounding or confiscating a vehicle caught on video.

6. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

Must be nice. I've done that several times with local law enforcement here in the US and was told the video may be edited and since they didn't witness it they can't do anything.

To which I normally reply that when they arrest someone for murder, 9 times out of 10 the arresting officer didn't see the crime happen. Just saying.

By the way, handcuffs don't feel THAT bad. :)

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

It’s down to the registered keeper of the car to prove they were not driving it first and foremost over here. If they were not at the wheel then they have to inform the police who was. If they refuse then they get prosecuted for the offence which is a good way of preventing people passing the buck and committing driving offences. The same with speed cameras as they don’t have to show the face of a driver because the initial blame is on the registered keeper.

8. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

9. LordVic macrumors 603

How do they know someone is street racing if they're not there to witness it for their records.

i feel like i'm missing something. I agree overall with anti-street racing laws. But you can't just accuse/charge someone for a criminal act if it's not witnessed properly

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

this is Murika, YOU need to prove I did it, not the other way around.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2019 ---
    oh I seriously HATE it when they block streets to do their stupid stunts :mad:. but I don't agree with this at all.

11. LordVic macrumors 603

yeah, if streets are being blocked for the stunt racing crap, police should be called to break it up and THEN charge the racers.

but what are they going to do now? Setup an anonymous tip line? Anyone who gets reported on it automatically gets a street racing / stunt driving penalty? the whole thing is wrong.

Stunt drivers/racing on city streets should be grossly illegal. But you don't just throw out due process

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Driving is a privilege here rather than a right so it’s down to the individual. We’d have everybody claiming someone had borrowed their car after they left their keys laying around if the law was that relaxed here. I support it though as there are already far too many tossers on the roads as it is.

13. LordVic macrumors 603

There are a lot of "tossers" on the road everywhere. But we still have a "innocent until found guilty" mentality, EVEN for privileges such as driving.

Without witness to the driving infraction, you have no proper due process. It means people can be accused of committing a traffic violation without it being properly witnessed.

This sets up a particularly dangerous precedent where it allows for someone to have enforcement of law thrust upon them without due process. Something, anyone in a free democracy should be against.

Yes, Get these ********* drivers off the road. But get them off the road by doing the policing properly and not taking shortcuts that violate what we consider our rights. We might not have the right to drive. But we do have the rights to unreasonable search and seizure. And the right to be innocent under the law until found guilty.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

driving is not a right here either, but due process IS SUPPOSED to be a right, from bill
    that there is troubling, anyone can seemingly accuse you of racing simply because you have a nice lowered grass cutter with some stupid spoilers.......
    --- Post Merged, Apr 30, 2019 ---
    should be but it won't until it's challenged in court and after it affect someone :(

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

17. LordVic macrumors 603

Video camera evidence is different than "reports from witnesses" that is in the OP link.

Having video evidence of people driving through bus stop signs is legit evidence of a violation of traffic.

having a bunch of people calling the police to report it? not so much.

18. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

They can use license plate numbers to at least get a lead. Maybe try to get a confession out of the car owner.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

no problems with that....