Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
As I remember, C3 technologies had a 3d street view mode as far back as 2 years ago when they were acquired by Apple.

Assuming it was as far along as they suggested, might this be the "hidden feature" exclusive to the new iPhone that pushes people to upgrade?

Just speculating, it would be a good showcase for the new hardware.

I seriously doubt it. C3 was working on their street view, but who knows how far along it was/is. Plus considering how that's a feature that even the iPhone 3G has now... it'd be kind of a smack in the face to say "upgrade to iOS 6 and lose street view! If you want it back, BUY OUR NEW IPHONE!"

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
No, it would make no sense to limit that to the new iPhone, especially since Google's standalone Maps app will likely have it.

If there is a new iPhone-only feature, it'll take advantage of the new hardware in some way. Maybe AirDrop or group FaceTime.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
When you go to the purchased section in iTunes (in iOS), it says the feature is not currently available in this beta, even in the latest. I think there will be a videos related unannounced feature.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
"We'd like to introduce a new feature you've had for a while now"? Yeah, I don't think that really qualifies. It's not a feature that would drive the masses to pick new iPhones.

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I'm not talking about the current street view that google offers, I'm talking about the fully 3d street view that C3 had working behind closed doors at the time of their acquisition by apple.

This type of 3d would be a good showcase for new hardware. Think of the polygonal buildings that go by in turn by turn mode, only skinned with high res textures.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I understood what you were saying.

I'm saying that taking away Google street view and then making a huge announcement about us getting Apple street view would be... underwhelming.

"We're taking away something cool and giving you something just like it" isn't the stuff headlines are made from. That feature is not going to make anyone want to dump their old iPhone so they can get the latest model.

It's not just about announcing something unexpected. That "something" needs to make people want to upgrade. I don't believe Apple street view meets that standard.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
This seems more likely, possibly with fingerprint sensor home button.

Makes sense, Apple bought out Authentech rather than just cutting a software licensing deal. Also this would be another layer of security in the NFC and Passbook.

Bring it on.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
This seems more likely, possibly with fingerprint sensor home button.

Why would they integrate it into the home button when the technology they bought (are trying to buy) integrates the fingerprint reader into the screen?

----------

the 'hidden feature' will surely be NFC to integrate with PassBook

Why does Apple need NFC???
Their existing solution with PassBook leverages existing infrastructure to accomplish the same thing without the need for retailers to install new hardware.

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I understood what you were saying.

I'm saying that taking away Google street view and then making a huge announcement about us getting Apple street view would be... underwhelming.

"We're taking away something cool and giving you something just like it" isn't the stuff headlines are made from. That feature is not going to make anyone want to dump their old iPhone so they can get the latest model.

It's not just about announcing something unexpected. That "something" needs to make people want to upgrade. I don't believe Apple street view meets that standard.

Just like it?

Current streetview is ancient technology, its a quicktime VR.

Fully 3D street view would

1: Be nothing like anything currently available

and

2: Be a bonafide barnbuster as a tech demo.

I've gone on record that I think Apple's maps are going to blow people away, I don't think people on the web realize how cool people will find it.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Just like it?

and

I've gone on record that I think Apple's maps are going to blow people away, I don't think people on the web realize how cool people will find it.

Fair enough. I suppose your guess is just about as valid as anyone else's opinion. But I still say no. Totally redone street view or not, it just doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. Not something that they would hold off till the end to announce. But maybe that's just because I never use street view. Never really found it helpful.

Funkmasta

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I think the main reason Apple's maps are so impressive to me us that it feels like virtual tourism. Zooming around cities most users will never step foot in, all in 3d.

It duplicates the feeling I had the first time
I saw satellite mapping, "oh let's look for the house". It makes it fun.

Just an opinion of course. I was running it on iPad 3 fwiw.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I saw satellite mapping, "oh let's look for the house". It makes it fun.

thats what i did when googles navigation came out but the initial novelty soon wore off as it makes it distracting and more cluttered. I found the normal simple navigation much clearer and less distracting.

I imagine it will be the same for 3d navigation. Oooh wheres that big building it shows on my map...BANG oops i just crashed

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Just like it?

and

And the data needed to show those gorgeus 3D renderings come exactly from where?

----------

I'm not talking about the current street view that google offers, I'm talking about the fully 3d street view that C3 had working behind closed doors at the time of their acquisition by apple.

This type of 3d would be a good showcase for new hardware. Think of the polygonal buildings that go by in turn by turn mode, only skinned with high res textures.

And, what C3 technology are you talking about? The 3D polygonal building with high res textures are 3D Flyover maps

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Fair enough. I suppose your guess is just about as valid as anyone else's opinion. But I still say no. Totally redone street view or not, it just doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. Not something that they would hold off till the end to announce. But maybe that's just because I never use street view. Never really found it helpful.

Street View itself isn't that big a deal to most people so an announcement by Apple for something like Street View wouldn't be all that exciting either. Most people I know had no idea it was even part of the Maps application. They use the maps but don't use Street View. Of course, here on tech forums some people claim not having Street View is a big deal but they obviously need to get out a bit more.

In the real world, Street View just isn't very popular.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
As I remember, C3 technologies had a 3d street view mode as far back as 2 years ago when they were acquired by Apple.

Assuming it was as far along as they suggested, might this be the "hidden feature" exclusive to the new iPhone that pushes people to upgrade?

Just speculating, it would be a good showcase for the new hardware.

I would hop so cause right now the iPhone 5 is just the iPhone 4S but taller. lol...#AppleFail

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Do you guys really use street view that much? If it works during turn by turn navigation. Awesome.

But it doesn't. So for me it was a gimmick that I used 2-3 times just to check my own house out. Lol

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Do you guys really use street view that much? If it works during turn by turn navigation. Awesome.

But it doesn't. So for me it was a gimmick that I used 2-3 times just to check my own house out. Lol

Yes.

If you know what the store front, etc.looks like for a new destination, from a drivers eye perspective (not helicopter's, because I'm not that wealthy yet) it can be much easier to find a place on first pass without passing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.