Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzLion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Hi

When I lie down in bed and have my unibody macbook pro on a 40 degree/45degree angle, the screen will always fold down. It seems as the hinges cannot hold the screen up at around that angle.

Does it happen to your Unibody MBP?

Cheers

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Yes, and according to Apple this is a side effect of an intentional decision to make the screen easier to open, and isn't a defect. There was a bit of a flap about this when they were first released.

marcelg

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
It may be a matter of preference, however, when making a stiff laptop body to avoid flex (unibody in this case), a sturdy keyboard, why settle for a floppy screen?

So much for perfection!

JazzLion

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Anyone this doesn't happen too? Didn't know about this prior to buying the MBP. :(

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
this happens on my early 08 MBP...i think its an apple design decision to make the hinges all floppy

crewrules101

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Hinges

From what I have heard if you take it to the Apple store they can tighten the hinge and make it sturdier so that it wont close on you. There are already some threads on this, if you search for them.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
Just to clarify: I wouldn't call the screen floppy. To have it close on you, you must be using the computer at some ungodly angle. If you lie down and put it on your lap, it will stay open perfectly, even at up to a 60 degree angle or so from the horizontal plane.

It happens to me occasionally when I pick it up and reposition it, but now I'm used to it and don't hold it at such an extreme angle. It's not a big deal, really.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
45 degrees? from the body or from the back.
anyway, i tried both and it stays open.
i even tried it 10 degrees open and it stayed open

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Prop the bed up at an angle. I've found that two telephone directories under each of the feet of pillow-end of the bed does the job well.
Alternatively, removing or cutting off the feet at the other end of the bed will normally create the angle you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.