Strongly considering leaving ATT... MVNO?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cameronjpu, Sep 13, 2012.

1. cameronjpu, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

cameronjpu macrumors 65816

Just realized that for the first time I won't be able to get the new iPhone on ATT on launch day for the fully subsidized price. I've known for years of course that the total annual and biannual price of the iPhone on ATT was far higher than the face price of the phone, but I put up with it because of the addictive effect of the subsidy. Signing a 2 year contract every year means it's never easy to escape the contract if you like having new phones. And I do.

So I've looked into MVNOs before and I am doing it again. I MUST have simultaneous voice and data. Can't do without it. So any provider that doesn't give that is a no go. No Verizon, no Sprint, no Virgin.... That leaves ATT and the MVNOs that operate on its network, as far as I know.

Straight talk seems like a decent idea, at about $45 a month for 2 GB of data (which is plenty for me) and unlimited everything else. Good start. But from what I can tell, it does not offer visual voicemail. That's a problem for me. I could work around it, if I could find an app that handles the same function similarly. I read a forum post or two that says Youmail doesn't really work that well. I'd like some personal accounts from someone who actually uses it, if anyone does.

I don't care about 4G, in fact I'm really hoping I can switch off 4G on the new iPhone to save battery life.

It will seriously affect my self-image if I have to walk around with a 4S for 6 more months (only kinda kidding... for those unable to get a joke). Running the numbers, including new iPhones every 12 months and selling old ones for $200 less than they cost new, Straight Talk works out to be about $800 cheaper over 2 years.

I don't understand why consumer reports or some other reputable organization hasn't tested the network performance of the MVNOs though. That's the big thing that keeps me from switching. If I can't be confident that my service will be as good as it is on ATT, I can't make a move. Any suggestions? Or a better provider than Straight Talk?

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Wow!!! Your pathetic. I can't stop laughing. It might affect your self image. Wow.

3. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

As I said... that was a joke. Thanks for the help though!

Anyone out there have some actual help? I'm guessing the answers to these questions would help a LOT of iPhone users on ATT. Thanks

4. winterny macrumors 6502

Network performance will be *identical* to AT&T, except there will be absolutely NO ROAMING at all. This means that you will not be able to use your MVNO sim card internationally.

Also, I would find it highly unlikely that Straight Talk will be able to provide a nanosim on day one.

5. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I have no interest in using the ST SIM internationally, especially since I'd have an unlocked iPhone so I could use a local SIM much more easily than I have in the past (having to keep my 3GS around just for that is getting old).

That makes sense that they would not have the nano-sim on day one. I think I could wait a few weeks or a month+.

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Awhhh poor you and your first world problems. :rolleyes:

I may sound like a jerk, but comon man, not like you NEED a new phone.

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ok, I'm going to confess that I didn't read your whole post. But I did catch the part about not being able to move without getting an official report of the network performance.

This doesn't make sense for a couple of reasons. Straight Talk uses AT&T's network, doesn't it? So boom, you already have info.

The other reason it doesn't make sense... You'll have a fully paid phone on a no contract basis. If you don't like it, you can switch back.

8. cameronjpu thread starter macrumors 65816

You might want to find a different site - this one is full of people talking about thousand dollar computers and hundred dollar cell phone plans. Must be really frustrating to have to read about all these first world problems all the time. Gee I wish I had some third world problems but I guess I should be ashamed that I was born in America, well educated and hard working, so I can buy things that I want.

----------

I have no way to know if (for certain) straight talk users get the same network performance as ATT users do. It's not like ATT couldn't easily, technically, degrade performance for MVNOs on their network, reserve certain towers for ATT customers only, reserve the first 75% of a given tower for ATT customers, etc. So I think your assertion that I already have this info is optimistic.

The other reason it doesn't make sense...

Well you see, first I'd have to pay $200 or so to break my ATT contract, and then buy a $700 phone. Then if the service doesn't work out, I'd have to go back to ATT, where if I HADNT dont those things, I could have bought a $400 phone and no ETF. The difference in those two paths is $500, so again, I don't see how you think that's no big deal. I want to make the right choice without risking $500 in uncertainty.

I'm sorry that you don't think my lack of certainty is warranted, but you didn't help much by telling me that I shouldn't be uncertain.