Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Just did the latest dev Catalina update, whole thing froze during the restart process, I can force a shutdown and restart and get to the log on screen, but after I enter my account password and it reoobts to complete the install and then freezes again with the progress bar a third of the way done.

Rinse and repeat.....

Any advice?

siroht

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Dallas
Just did the latest dev Catalina update, whole thing froze during the restart process, I can force a shutdown and restart and get to the log on screen, but after I enter my account password and it reoobts to complete the install and then freezes again with the progress bar a third of the way done.

Rinse and repeat.....

Any advice?

I went through the same experience last night. Gave up and did performed a time machine backup of 10.14.5. Although I like Catalina, the only feature that peaked my interest to try it out was Side Car. Other than that I will hold off until the official release.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I went through the same experience last night. Gave up and did performed a time machine backup of 10.14.5. Although I like Catalina, the only feature that peaked my interest to try it out was Side Car. Other than that I will hold off until the official release.

Lesson learned, no time machine backup for me, how do I reinstall a Mac OS with no disc? Can I download it using another machine?

siroht

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Dallas
Lesson learned, no time machine backup for me, how do I reinstall a Mac OS with no disc? Can I download it using another machine?

Try the internet recovery option like I did. holding down both the CMD + R keys upon boot up or restart. From there it should be self explanatory.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Try the internet recovery option like I did. holding down both the CMD + R keys upon boot up or restart. From there it should be self explanatory.

Finally got to the recovery console but it says my Mackintosh HD drive isn’t mounted and cant install, according to disc utility it is mounted.

Last edited:

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I bit the bullet and formatted, lesson learned, time machine back ups in future, especially before beta updates

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.