Stuck in start up on unsupported iMac

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Everything has been working fine for a while now. Today, I was watching a video on Youtube. I went full screen on the video, the screen started fluttering, looking like little red butterflies everywhere, the computer restarts, the Apple logo and status bar shows, then the screen just goes blank, like its stuck in the startup. I tried restarting, but the same thing happens. I dont know what else to do. Do I have to restore the machine from the beginning? If so, I might as well just go with High Sierra, since its compatible with my iMac, which is a late 09 i7, with 32GB ram, and a 1tb Samsung SSD, if that helps.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Everything has been working fine for a while now. Today, I was watching a video on Youtube. I went full screen on the video, the screen started fluttering, looking like little red butterflies everywhere, the computer restarts, the Apple logo and status bar shows, then the screen just goes blank, like its stuck in the startup. I tried restarting, but the same thing happens. I dont know what else to do. Do I have to restore the machine from the beginning? If so, I might as well just go with High Sierra, since its compatible with my iMac, which is a late 09 i7, with 32GB ram, and a 1tb Samsung SSD, if that helps.
If you are running macOS Mojave go to the macOS for unsupported macs on the first page download the macOS Mojave patcher to create a bootable usb the tool will also allow you to downloaded macOS Mojave 10.14.5 just follow the instructions you should be able to reinstall macOS Mojave without losing your data, info or apps

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
If you are running macOS Mojave go to the macOS for unsupported macs on the first page download the macOS Mojave patcher to create a bootable usb the tool will also allow you to downloaded macOS Mojave 10.14.5 just follow the instructions you should be able to reinstall macOS Mojave without losing your data, info or apps
I think I still have the bootable USB stick with Mojave on it. What do I have to do after I startup from the USB drive?