Stuck in the apple eco system.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SnipeUout, Oct 13, 2012.

1. SnipeUout macrumors newbie

I have been an Iphone user since 2007 and have both the original Iphone and Iphone 4. Both devices have worked well and besides a few minor issues with IOS they both performed well. I currently have an Iphone 5 in a sealed box and been contemplating returning it. My biggest reason is that IOS has not evolved the ways I have hoped. Basic features like allowing customization to using it as a jump drive have really annoyed me. What really gets me is IOS 6 looks and feels very much like it did 5 years ago. So besides the upgraded cameras, cpu, LTE and the construction of the IP5 its really the same thing. Upgrading will give me a few features, sire which I've played with and find useless, panorama which I have an apps for and personally don't care for turn-by-turn navigation.

After the Iphone 5 was released my eyes started to wonder. The Galaxy Note 2 and the next gen Nexus device have me checking the internet daily for updates. Android to me is something new and exciting and is not limited like the Iphone is.

So this should be an easily decision for me, just switch to an Android handset.
    Well it's not that easily. I've become stuck in the Apple ecosystem. I own a lot of apps that I've paid for that I will lose. My parents, grandparent and girlfriend all use iphones. So if I switch to android ill lose my apps and face time ability. Now Skype is an option but my family hates it and claims it's just a hassle.
    So this bring me to my easiest option, return the iphone 5 and keep with the iphone 4 as it does everything I truly need and save my upgrade and 300 bucks.

Am I making any sense here?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Appreciate your venting here and yes you make perfect sense.

Whats wrong with using both handsets and platforms ?

3. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

As you have noted, continue to use your iPhone 4 and return the 5.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

To which I reply, why are you asking a bunch of strangers what to do with your life and phone? Do you need a bunch I strangers to tell you that you are making the right decision? iOS 6 may not look different from iOS 1.0, but looks can be deceiving. It sounds like you want a change so go for it. Be a man and make your own decisions.

5. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Get an android phone and use your iOS apps on your iPad.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Didn't you know.... when you first got into the Apple ecoystem...

[​IMG]

7. albertsw macrumors regular

Buy and Android phone and a 5th gen iPod touch to facetime and for all your apps.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Get the new nexus when it comes out and keep your iPhone 4 as an iPod touch for your apps and FaceTime.

9. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If you can afford it, this seems like the best compromise.

I agree with you incidentally - I was browsing some Android tablets and phones at an AT&T store a few days ago, and they had great displays and so many ways to tweak the app settings etc. Maybe not for everybody but I was surprised how good they looked.

My family is deeply invested in iOS products, I'm not sure that's really a good thing.

10. parrot5 macrumors 6502

On the contrary, my main system (cellphone) is iOS and then Android is my plaything.

The customizations and rom-flashing of Android are addicting -- for the first 3 months of a device -- and then I got tired of checking forums everyday and flashing and testing roms (meaning wiping the phone!!) twice a WEEK. Then a couple months later the next flagship android phone comes along and it starts all over again. So Android is my plaything and iOS is staple.

11. darster Suspended

The iPhone and all my other Apple devices play together so well. I had the iphone 4 and then went to the Razr maxx. Didn't integrate with my imac, ATV3 or ipad. What a pain it was. When the iphone 5 came out, I ordered it. Wasn't going to spend another day with a crappy android phone. Now I am happy again with everything working together like a well oiled machine.

12. Bigads macrumors regular

Bigads

It often seems that people who are looking at alternative phones, simply do so for the ability to tweak a few settings. To me that doesn't make the phone better or more usable.

You mention the upgrades to the hardware and then seem to disregard them.

Updates to iOS have been great. I joined the apple system with an iPhone 4 (ios4) and have found each subsequent update of software has kept the same usability but with greater integration and features. I find it bizarre that the very thing, the essence of iOS; the ease, familiarity and integration is the thing that seems to be turning you off.

I love that I can pick up my iPhone, iPad, iPod or MacBook and everything links, and works so seamlessly together.

Forgive my ignorance, but a jump drive? Like USB functionality? If so I have found my USB pens have become obsolete with the use of iCloud and Dropbox.

I agree with others that maybe keeping iPhone 4 and the money might be your best bet.

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I hear you and totally understand how you feel. The thing to consider about apps is this, I'm sure that over the years you've bought a fair number of apps. I know I did, but how many of those apps do you actually use? I would bet its a pretty small number of core apps that you use on a regular basis. Here's how you can test how many you actually need vs the apps that you have "just in case" you might need them. Restore your iPhone 4 and set it up as new (of course make a full backup first) and limit yourself to 5 to 10 apps that you are 100% certain you'll use on a daily basis or at least 2 to 3 times a week. Use the phone for a month. See how many apps you end up installing during that month as situations arise which would require a particular app.

Then check the Google Play store to see if there are equal or suitable Android alternatives at the end of the month. By the end of 30 days you should have a very good idea of just how reliant you are on the Apple ecosystem.

FaceTime is the really tough one to get around. No matter how hard I tried my wife to use an alternative on her Android, nothing ever worked simply enough for her. Once she used FaceTime twice she became hooked on it. We now enjoy FaceTime on a regular basis.

That brings me to why I upgraded to the iPhone 5. I wanted her to have an iPhone as soon as possible but her upgrade is next year while mine was in July. I had a 4S (which is what she has now) and when the 5 was officially introduced I was disappointed at what I saw. Especially after the somewhat lackluster iOS 6 update. If my wife would have had an iPhone I'm pretty sure I would wait until the 5S or 6. But as it is I have the iPhone 5 and I am very happy with it. It's a very good very solid device and I appreciate the hardware differences enough that I can honestly say that even from a 4S it's a nice upgrade. Now I can patiently wait for the next two iPhones and iOS 7 to see what I'll do once I'm ready to upgrade again.

I honestly believe that if you start using the iPhone 5, you'll see the value in the upgrade. Especially since you're going from a 4 to the 5.

Sorry I kind of went off track but I hope I was able to help in some small way :)

I still think you should test your reliance on the apps the way I described above and while you're at it find alternative ways to sync stuff outside of iCloud to see if that will also be something to consider.

Good luck;)

14. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Great unbiased post. I'd echo almost all of it. For me FaceTime and iMessage are the two reasons I stay.

15. GravityEyes macrumors regular

GravityEyes

A few friends have said similar things, and always disappointed when a new version comes out, as it fails to meet their expectations. Yet they can't really articulate what it is they want iOS 6 to deliver. Hmmm. This last revision to the iPhone they were disappointed it didn't NFC, wireless charging and were miffed about Lightning interface.

One observation is they are "power users". The same guys who built their own PCs for years, have game consoles hacked to run Linux, etc. So a closed system like Apple apparently keeps them from toying around.

I design app UIs for both platforms and I have never been blown away by Android. Withholding all my grips from a development standpoint I just find their ecosystem or lack of to be fragmented and clunky.

16. SnipeUout thread starter macrumors newbie

I have alittle more then two weeks till I run out of time to return the device. I could simply use it for 2 weeks and if I want out I can return it to apple. But I feel wrong to test drive it and send it back.

I know I'd love a note 2 or nex gen nexus, but it's a damn two year commitment. I want to be happy and excited. I'm not for the iphone 5. Usually I would rip open the box of my new toy and play with it like a kid on Christmas. For some reason I'm afraid to open it up. I don't want to got through setting it up just to return it and active my IP4.

17. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Here's a thought. Return the iPhone 5 and get the Note IF you can still return it within two weeks (or whatever your carrier allows). Play around with it and see if it pushes the right buttons for you. If not you'll at least satisfy the urge to switch to a different platform. Then you could patiently wait for the 5S or 6 and still have your upgrade. In the meantime you could pick up a used 4S to get almost all the features of the 5 (and a much better camera than what you have now) and that wait won't be so difficult to deal with. And who knows who releases what in the next 18 to 24 months?

18. propalitet macrumors member

Just get what you feel like having. My brother was in the same situation, he always had iphones. Now with 5 he didn't feel like it anymore but wasn't sure if he wanted to try something new. I told him to try S3, he wasn't sure, and now he says he loves it, he has that feeling that you're talking about. F$#@ it, life is short. I'm sure he'll get the iphone 6 or 5s at some point but righr now he just enjoys his new phone.
    So, I would say, keep the iphone 4 and get the best android out there, note 2, S3, or something like that. Even better, keep the 5, sell the iphone 4, add 200 bucks and get S3 off contract :)

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Dual boot IOS/Android.

Oh wait that's on the Mac. :)

20. Recon73 macrumors newbie

I was like you, I went to android after my 3GS contract was up. I went with a motorola droid x2. I had nothing but problems with it, at least that phone. I only had one update on the phone,and it looks like the current update ice cream sandwich will not come to the droid x2. This was the newest phone when I bought it. So now I am going back to iPhone will have my new iPhone 5 in a few weeks.

21. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

This is why stores have phones on display. What's stopping you from going and spending an hour with the android device you seek? You're genuinely interested, they won't kick you out.

22. richmds macrumors regular

Isnt this the same thing people were saying few years ago before buying a Mac when they already owned a PC?
    It doesnt matter go with whatever you want and it will work out.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Right, because upgraded cameras, cpu, LTE and the construction, and totally trivial things. The original 2007 iphone is exactly the same thing as the iPhone 5. :rolleyes:

First World Problems.

So, I'm curious: what is iOS6 missing that would make you not bored with it?

24. Tulsa macrumors member

I wouldn't feel bad for test driving it, the companies allow this time so take advantage of it. AT&T doesn't feel bad for throttling their customers.

I'm in a similar situation in as much as I'm thinking of jumping ship from the Apple eco system. I've been doing the research on the Android platform and certainly they have some things to offer. Is it better? That's an individual choice. You have to make yourself happy.

I'm a visual guy so the screens are important to me. The super amoled screens are horrible to me vs. the lcd of the apple. Washed out, can't display white to save their life pieces of crap. That's just me though. There are androids that have lcd and HTC is coming out with new phone soon that is larger and more what I wanted when the 5 came out, a 4.7 inch screen. I hated it that Apple only chose to make the 5 longer as my opinion was the width needed to be increased.

Getting used to calling the OS a dessert has been a struggle but Jelly Bean isn't bad. It's appears smooth and mature for an OS. The troubling fact I've been finding out here is the updates are limited to whatever your provider decides for you. So while you may be able to purchase the latest greatest today, tomorrow you may or may not get an update when one is released and I don't like the idea of AT&T making that decision for me. That also leads into the their bloatware issue and I know like jailbreaking, you can root thing phones but why a person can't just have what they want on their phone, out of the box, perplexes me.

An earlier post a user posed the question, what did they leave out of iOS6? Widgets. Let's face it, everyone's iphones look basically the same, some personalization ability would have been nice. Visually the iphone 5 is the phone 4 with an extra row of icons. Would it have hurt to give the owners of the phones a little extra choice past changing the background on the lock and home screens?

Investment in apps, I never invested heavily in apps of any kind. I think in my 4 years with an iphone I might have a total of $20 in apps purchased. This one is not even a consideration for me. I've paid more for a screen protector. Facetime, it's a novelty item as far as I'm concerned, much like Siri. Cute but in the end hardly essential and certainly not a game changer.

What is a game changer for me is bluetooth and the implementation of the technology. As a avid rider of motorcycles, I love to slip on my bluetooth stereo headphones, slip my phone in my pocket while it's running Pandora or my own music and ride. It's my little escape from the world. With my 3s, life was good. When the 4 came out it when to hell in a hand basket. No longer could a good solid connection be established in that meager two feet from my pocket to my ears. Every time I got the connection functioning it would begin to fail, I turn my head and lose connection. It was maddening. I thought it was something to do with antennagate but when the 5 came out and I got my hands on one, same thing. I paired my headphones up with a GS3 and it worked fine. Apple still hasn't fixed it and I refuse to spend two more years fighting that beast. Not to mention the iOS6 update was also bringing MAPP protocol which should pair with my Ford Edge and their MFT system. Failed again. My car shows it's connected but it still can't send and receive texts.

In the end, like almost everything else in life it's about trade-offs. As hunter/gatherers we must hunt what we can find and perfection is an elusive beast. Determine what your real needs are, not the perceived drivel that means little and find the platform/phone that best answers those needs, shoot it and bag it.

25. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Actually couldn't he do something like this jailbreaking his iP4?