Stuck with the 3GS, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beppo, Sep 19, 2012.

1. beppo macrumors member

So I spilled water on my iPhone 4 (which I was madly in love with) at the beginning of August while I was traveling and it was completely destroyed. I needed a phone badly, so I just went to the AT&T store and used my upgrade to get a free 3GS. My thinking was that I could upgrade using my mom's or my dad's account, but they want to switch to Verizon, so they don't want to extend the contracts any further than they need to be.

So basically I'm stuck with the 3GS until August of 2014. I know that I could buy an unlocked iPhone 5, but I feel like that would be a waste of money. I was also thinking that I could just get an iPad to make up for the lack power that the iPhone has, when a new one comes out in 2013.

Anyways, just looking for suggestions.

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

It all sucks on many levels.

Free really sucks in this case, eh?

You might want to read some of the posts of folks that switched to Verizon, and are not so happy now.

Other than that... well...

Maybe, just maybe you can go to ATT and get them to give you a break on the 4 or 4s since they are dropping the 3. Doubt it, but worth a try.

3. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

what threads? why?

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Do you still have the 4?
    If you do you can take it in to an Apple store and get it replaced for $200.
    It's not a 5 but its better than the 3GS.
    You could also then sell the essentially new 4 to get even more money toward the 5.

5. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Just curious...How is a iPad going to replace your iPhone? I mean you can't really carry the iPad like you can the phone. What kind of power are you referring to that iPad has over the 3GS? You didn't have an old phone to use between Aug. and this Friday? You were out of contract and could have picked up a new iPhone 5 in a couple of days or ordered online. So instead you get another 3+ year old 3GS?:confused:

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you really don't want to stick with the 3GS for two years, you should see what your early termination fee would be with AT&T.

You might be able to pay that, sell the 3GS (they should unlock it for you when you pay the ETF), and then start a new contract with AT&T or Verizon.

If your parents switch to Verizon, it would probably be cheaper per month as well for you to join on to their shared plan than to keep an independent plan with AT&T.

When I get my iPhone 5 I'm moving from a stand alone AT&T bill to a line on a Verizon family plan that we already have set up. The monthly cost for my line will go from about $98/month to around $45/month.

7. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Open up another line on at&t and get the 5 on subsidy. When you get it get a nano sim for your current line put the new line in a dumb phone and cancel the data. The dumb phone will only cost you an extra $10 a month. Sell the 3GS and you could probably make almost enough to pay for the 5. You would definitely make enough for the $99 4s. Then after your 3gs line becomes available for an upgrade you will be able to upgrade on subsidy every year after that.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Price everything out on ATT and Verizon before you make another move that could hurt you. Do it for at least 12 months, though 20-24 would be better.

New Verizon plans require data share by the way.