Student claims she was fed question for Clinton

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lyle, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I know that Mrs. Clinton doesn't seem to have a lot of supporters among the Democrats here, but how much (if at all) do you think this story will affect her chances at winning the nomination? According to the story, other people are now coming forward and saying that they were approached about being "plants" too. Granted, this is something that all of the candidates probably do, but I guess this is the first time I remember hearing anyone get caught at it.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not enough to make a difference. Although it does give me one more reason not to want her to be the nominee.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It won't make a difference. But for anyone thinking she's much better than what we have now, this should tell you all you need to know. It's a shame that she's the best we can get. And I don't want to hear any "but they all do it" BS. Wrong is wrong.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

It's such a stupid thing to get caught out on. Hillary should be quick enough to take all comers, this is padding the margin too much. And they should've known the Red-staters would have a field day if it ever got found out.

Sloppy. (the whole idea, not getting caught)

5. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree. It would be nice for once to get a major candidate from either party that truly held some sort of moral values. I think so many politicians get so caught up in trying to make themselves look better and their opponents look worse that they forget that deception and lying are not desirable qualities in a candidate.

6. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But when Bush does it with his town hall meetings with handpicked attendees who all blindly support the president no one seems to care :rolleyes:

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's because we expect it from them. We expect better from the Democrats. I guess we can stop expecting anything anymore. :mad:

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's no doubt that it's pathetic and there's no doubt that it's gone on since time immemorial.

It's sad to see her resort to such tactics but I don't think it'll change her poll numbers.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... did one of the Clinton advisors think it was a good idea to emulate FEMA? Actually, it probably is a good idea. I mean, it's a despicable practice that cheapens political debate and leads even more of us to believe that politicians are liars... but this kind of thing tends to fly under the radar so to speak. Outside of the DC coctail circuit and the blogosphere, who's going to know about this or even remember it happened in a month? How many times has Bush proven that this old parlor trick works?

"Please, Candidate X, in your own words, please tell us how awesome you really are?"

"Thank you for the question."

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Do I think that this will affect the supporters of Clinton? Nope.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

At least we now know why you want her to win the nomination. ;)

I still don't know who all these supporters of hers are. I still know no one who likes her.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And yet the so called polls show her with ten point leads over the runner up.

I do agree that she's the most polarizing candidate the dems have to offer though. It's going to be very interesting to see how the primaries develop for both sides in my opinion. I'm kind of disappointed in what I'm hearing from my liberatarian and conservative friends though who are still fixated on trying to select a candidate that is best suited to beat her rather than voting for the best candidate. The selection might be quite narrow by the time Nebraska gets to vote.

14. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What is wrong with it Lee? I would not care if any candidate did it. The debates have largely become this sort of thing, especially the higher you go in the process. At the worst, she is stacking the deck with some talking points. Why not? Afterall, the candidate is our there trying to sell their message, right?

15. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Um, which ones get elected?

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is exactly the type of thing Bush does. And no, that wasn't an excuse. Pretty much the opposite. The only good thing about this is that people are also mentioning Bush when they talk about it. Pretty hard to be mad at Hill for something Bush does on a regular basis. Not that some still don't, of course Fox is having a field day. But they're already preaching to the converted, so no, it won't matter much to her polls. The worst part is that no one really seems to care. We're so used to it, it doesn't even really register.

Sadly, no, I'm not really surprised at all, but yeah, I'm still disappointed.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This kind of information control has spread to other Western countries as well. Canada's PM is similarly groomed, taking hand-fed questions, creating "protest zones" (re: cages) for protesters, limiting public appearances and the like.

Candidates and public officials should be attempting to make themselves as publically accesible as possible, not the reverse.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What's wrong with it? Well, it's dishonest and manipulative. If you're going to take questions from the audience, then you should be prepared to answer any and all that someone might ask you, not have it preprogrammed. If you simply want to get your message out, then give a damn speech. However, if you want people to think you're answering random questons from an audience, then let people ask whatever they want, even if it makes you uncomfortable.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Isn't it common practice in almost any Q&A session to have a few planted questions in case no questions are asked initially and to ensure that some key points get raised? So long as there were some 'real' questions in the crowd and they weren't all plants, I really don't see the problem here. If only the plants are being answered, then yes, it's a poor show.

I once ended up at a US political rally - when Arnie was running for Governator - since a friend I was staying with wanted him in, despite normally being a Democrat. I was astonished to find that they were handing out 'handwritten' signs for selected members of the crowd to wave with a variety of slogans (e.g. Mums <3 Arnie etc). That, to me, smacked more of manipulation than a few questions.

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yeah, I almost forgot what a Bush stooge the likes of Helen Thomas and the rest of the Whitehouse press corps are. Bush plants, all of them!

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see that is what I figured. I would be more shocked if some one did not have a few planted questions. It makes sure a few key points are raised and it makes sure that at least something is started because some times people are afraid to ask anything until some one starts them off. As long as some non planted questions are answered I do not see a huge deal about this.

Now I still think she is a poor choice for president and I see little to no hope of the democrats winning. They just do not have any halfway decent candidates. The Republicans at least have one or 2 halfway decent ones.

22. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Remember how fast Dean's campaign imploded from one sound bite? Any serious candidate is going to control their environment to limit randomness any way they can. All it takes is one stupid answer to a question they weren't expecting to flush their chances.

Personally, I'd rather see a politician stumble through a question honestly than spewing a pre-written, pre-tested response. But that might actually tell us what they think and that's not good for getting elected. ;) And any stumbling is going to be played in the media 24/7 so being honest and off the cuff is just not worth the risk, if you are serious about being elected.

I don't like it, and I certainly don't like Hilary, but I don't think she should be dragged through the mud about it in particular. She's "controlling" about a lot more important things than what question gets asked after a speech.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Last politician I can recall answering any and all questions from a hostile audience is Ahmedinijad.

Would that American politicians had the guts to do the same...

24. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Your recall is pretty bad then. Taking questions and answering them are two totally different things.

Unless of course, Iran really does have no gays. In that case, his response to that one question could be considered an answer. However, that still doesn't address the other questions he ignored.

I'll just assume that your trolling and you don't actually stand by your comparison of him to American politicians.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But isn't this thread about taking questions? You'll never get a straight answer from a politician, but some have the courage to at least take the hard questions, others simply avoid them.

Again, this isn't about whether he provided sufficient answers or not. He allowed anyone to ask any question they wanted with no censor and no advance team.

Isn't that what the goal is for our politicians?

Ah this old canard. Because I compare one aspect of a politician to one aspect of another politician, I am automatically equating them? Is that what you are saying?

I'll just assume you have no fundamental understanding of debate and don't actually stand by your accusation of trolling.

Edit: I suppose the alternative is the kind of hard-hitting questions David Asman asked of Bush for Bush's recent FOXNews interview. The first question out of the gate was nothing more than a dressed-up version of "Please Mr. President, tell us how awesome your policies really are."
    Now THAT'S hard hitting journalism.