Student in hot water over NRA t-shirt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MuddyPaws1, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I'm not NRA supporter. So don't paint me as one. But this is getting out of control. You can't chew your pop tart into a gun shape, you can't throw an imaginary grenade on the playground while playing halo tag with your friends, you can't even SAY bang bang.

Now a 14 year old wears a NRA shirt at school and he's charged with disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer because he refused to remove it.

And this is in West Virginia.

http://news.yahoo.com/w-va-student-school-odds-over-nra-t-221912044.html

2. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

OP - your signature would suggest that you at least an NRA sympathizer...

But back on topic - I would agree that the teacher overreacted and was probably not aware of the details of the school policy - or concluded that an image of a gun on a T-shirt was 'hostile' in some shape or form. Unfortunately it puts the school in an awkward position, as they are guilty of either poorly training their teachers as to their school dress code, or they have to explain why a student wearing a T-shirt that supports a perfectly legal organization cannot wear it.

3. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

These schools are getting more and more communist everyday.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You know censorship is also a part of the extreme right too......

While I don't like the NRA, the kid should have been allowed to wear the shirt. Only way I would be for the schools actions is if it depicted shooting someone or any other kind of graphic violence.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I would be extremely surprised if the NRA came out with a shirt like that. If it depicted a shooting, it would have fallen under the stated policy of the district. From the article...

I didn't find any other information on it, but I only checked a couple sites. It seems like they are all basically reporting the same thing so far. As much as I abhor the NRA, this sounds ridiculous, especially charging the student with a crime because of an article of clothing. Perhaps more details will surface later.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It seems the officer was annoyed, so he charged the kid with something, specifically the latter part of that charge, "disrupting an educational process and obstructing an officer."

Good for the kid for standing up on First Amendment grounds, but I think he'll lose. The school can argue that the crossed guns and eagle are a symbol for violence and that the student was disruptive for refusing to flip his shirt.

I remember being in middle-school and a kid getting reprimanded for wearing a Jagermesiter t-shirt (he thought they wouldn't catch the reference). I got tossed out for wearing a Sex Pistols shirt (God Save the Queen) and a Pink Floyd t-shirt.

To a point, schools are about conformity. And, kids are about disruption and no one would give two ***** about the story except for the fact that it was about the NRA.

If I was a teenager again, I'd be hunting for t-shirts with vague gun logos and references right now.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Every school should have uniforms like in Japan...

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What one fails to remember is a school is not an extension of democracy and students fall under the discretion of the administration s discretion.

OP, you are outraged because it affects a cause you support. But this story has played out before with baggy pants, gay pride symbols, "George Bush - International terrorist"', pro/anti choice messages, etc. Would you have been equally outraged in these instances?

Wearing anything depicting a gun to a school is not the smartest choice in 2013. The student shoul have been sent home. How he reacted may have had a role in his arrest.

The solution to avert the subjectivity, as noted before, is a uniform code, applied uniformly.

9. Fazzy macrumors 6502

What is it with those on the right who say everything that isn't extremely right wing is communist? As a foreigner (or communist in your eyes), it seems like an extremely childish and simplistic view to take.

On this issue at hand, I agree that it is slightly silly.

10. eric/ Guest

eric/

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Possibly not a bad idea. My impression is that there is financial pressure on those who may not be able to afford and conform to the latest fashion trends.

As far as school policy, I find it perfectly acceptable if the school wants to universally ban shirts that promote guns in any way.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Please explain how the virtually defunct political system of Communism applies in this situation.

The raising of the spectre of Communism certainly takes me back to the 50's and 60's.:rolleyes:

13. eric/ Guest

eric/

Why not ban shirts that promote anything, then?

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Must it be explained? IMO it is not desirable to promote guns in school. You are entitled to YO. :)

15. eric/ Guest

eric/

I'd say it's not desirable to promote violence. But I don't agree with singling guns out specifically. What if it was a bow and arrow?

Best solution is to have children wear uniforms I think.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We don't have a bow and arrow problem in this country. ;)

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

See now you're making it political.

We have a tax problem.
    We have a gays problem.
    We have a religion problem.
    We have a knife stabbing problem.

etc...

Is your issue guns or violence?

18. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

If they started doing this at the middle school and high school that i went to half the boys, and some of the girls, would end up being sent home, asked to change their shirt, etc.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't have an issue, but I would lump guns and violence in the same pot. I'd say a depiction of someone holding an arrow with a dead squirrel on the end of it would be questionable. Years ago a friend of mine got into hot water by wearing a T Shirt that said "A little ***** never hurt anyone" accompanied by a picture of a cute little kitty. It was within the schools prerogative to make him change shirts, just like they could insist on avoiding any shirt that causes controversy as as pro/anti gay or religion. Kids don't need to be wearing those types of billboards, another reason for uniforms. :D

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

What if it was just a bow and arrow?

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What if it was an AK47?

School prerogative. Whatever standards they push, they should be uniform and consistent.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You know, mister, I've had just about enough of your rabble-rousing.

;)

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I know...you're right.

I'll try to calm down and mend my rabble rousing ways.:eek:

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

No different than a knife, or a bow and arrow, tank, jet, or any other weapon.

If the problem is violence, then be upset about any possible violent depictions, not just guns.

If the problem is the gun, than it's political and worthless.

Sure. All I'm saying is if you're going to target something politically, be consistent. For example, if you're going to target guns because they are guns and you don't like them, then you should also ban hammer and sickle shirts (USSR crap) or bush/cheney t-shirts, or Kony 2012, or whatever other political stuff people would want to wear.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not. You made that assertion. To say we have a gun problem in this country is an accurate observation that stands on it's own and can be made without political motivation of which was my intent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.