Student "Twitters" his way out of Egyptian jail

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by VideoFreek, Apr 26, 2008.

1. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

As of the time of this posting, this is the lead story (!) on CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/25/twitter.buck/index.html

Is it just me, or does this story not smell like a plant for Twitter? Buck certainly could have used a variety of means to notify his friends that he was in trouble (SMS, email, call from his cell phone). Am I missing something here?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That story is a big twitter advert. Twitter didn't save him. Access to his mobile, and mobile internet did. Without a Twitter account, he could have wrote a single SMS and sent it to 1, 2, 3, or even 17 different people if he needed to.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Daft story. The phones the important piece here. Pish I could have just emailed my server and it would appear as a wordpress blog.

Celebrate the phone!

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

reads like an advertisement, even if its not supposed to be one.

its the tech involved that matters, not the service. oh well.

5. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I saw this and thought the same as you guys everyone will be hopping on over to Twitter now, in case they need to have their lives saved.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Twitter and Buck will both prosper from being DETAINED. It's like the guy who was stuck on the side of a mountain for a long time who had to cut off his own arm to be freed from the tree trunk he was pinned under. He got up and the first thing he said to the media was "I wish I had a Coke". Coke has since then paid him handsomely for his stupid reference to wanting something to drink.

This does read like an advert for Twitter and Buck is gaining notoriety for his photo journal. Kudos to them on that note. However, what Buck should do is go back to school and spend a little more time learning about this crisis in Egypt and learn to speak a bit more eloquently and intelligently about the subject.

It is good he was released without harm but if I had to hear the word Twitter once more I was going to puke and what a waste of coffee that would have been!

Before this I had never heard of Twitter...there's probably good reason for that. Twitter is a bloated way of sending a mass SMS if you ask me.

That said, it would have been slightly funny if it was "I used Twitter to free myself because iPhones cannot send SMS to multiple people." Of course that is assuming this happened before it could be done.

7. VideoFreek thread starter macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

So this is rich...this damned story is back on the front page of CNN.com tonight, and is nothing more than a rehash of the original story that ran in late April. How much is Twitter paying CNN, anyway?? :rolleyes: