Student walkout

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's heartening watching the kids take their futures into their own hands today as they walk out of school to protest our guns-for-everybody mentality.

In the words of one student,

Honest to god, I never had to think in those terms when I went to school. Did you?

But of course for me that was decades ago, before the NRA turned into a de facto arm of the federal government.

I hope these kids will keep walking out and taking whatever other action is needed to make sure this issue stays front and center. They give me hope for the future.

Go, kids, go!

WALKOUT.jpg

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Right on. Hope the NRA and Republicans are paying attention because many of these kids will be voting in the next election. Stick with your hard liner all or nothing free for all and let these kids continue to needlessly get slaughtered or make some common sense changes.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I'm glad to see kids taking an interest in the world around them, they have the attention span of a gnat and will be back to eating Tide pods again real soon.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Back in my day, if we had a beef with someone or it was going to come down to someone getting hurt, we took care of it the old fashion way:

[​IMG]

And you knew **** was gonna go down if we broke out the cardboard. :D

Seriously, I wish I could say that in jest, but I can't. That tells you how far down the hole we have gone between my time in school and now. From breakdancing and "yo momma" jokes to pulling out AKs, Uzis, and ARs. We really should not have gone down this hole, but here we are. I'm happy to see these children taking a stand and realizing that their rights to life liberty and happiness don't simply start as an adult; they started much much earlier than that, and ... should I say it...

Kids' Lives Matter.

BL.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yeah, that's a hard sell to those who have lost their children to the same weapons you're so dead set on protecting.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm pretty sure that this is not more true of the young than the old.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I just hope these kids remember and vote when they turn 18.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, you are probably right.

9. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

My 16-year-old daughter was able to register to vote when she took her driver's test earlier this year. The first thing she did after she received her registration information in the mail was to create an all-day event in her calendar app for November 3, 2020 titled "Help Get Rid of Trump." And, believe me, she's not alone. These kids are pissed at what the "adults" did in 2016 and are looking forward to being able to help fix their mistake.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

And here I thought *I* was a cranky old man.:D:D:D I bow the curmudgeon master...and I'll be getting off your lawn now.;)

Whenever I watch a horror movie, I cheer every time the killer offs one of the teen. Dunno why, but killing teenagers is a staple of horror movies from Halloween to Nightmare on Elm Street to Scream.:p

11. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

One thing I have noticed about this upcoming generation, violent video games or not, they aren’t really gun happy.

If things continually keep going the way they are, I wouldn’t be shocked to see an actual try to repeal the 2nd in my lifetime.

12. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

"Help get rid of Trump"
    I don't mean this in a way that I am questioning your parenting, so please don't take it that way....
    Have you offered her any guidance for reasons why? In other words, could she articulate in her own words why she wants to get rid of Trump? Is there a particular direction she'd like to see things go after she gets rid of Trump? Very easy to be against something, not so easy to be for something.

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Maybe kids should stopping being so mean to people that don't fit in, or have mental, of emotional issues.

Isn't always the case with school shooters, but it's common enough that it's a real issue.

I just wish this whole schooling shooting fad would pass, but it doesn't seem it's going too, seem every nut job with access to a firearm wants to be infamous and attack people they know won't be armed.

I don't think the trouble will be addressed by violating the rights of millions of law abiding gun owners, but they should expect some reasonable limitations.

Mass shootings, way out of hand.

14. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

She doesn't need any guidance from me. She's completely disgusted by Trump as a human being and as a leader. She was only 7 when Obama took office, so he's the only other president she really knows and she is constantly amazed that the voters could choose to go from someone so calm, rational and intelligent to such a horrible cretin (her word).

As for specific policy issues, she would prefer someone pro-choice, in favor of LGBTQ rights, who won't eviscerate environmental regulation, in favor of some form of gun control, etc. But, even more than policy concerns, she wants the president to be someone that people can look up to, and not someone Americans are embarrassed by.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Fad ?
    Seriously ?

Sorry I just can't associate the concept of a fad with mass murder.

16. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Good stuff. Sounds like you have a bright kid.

17. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

The high school kids that I've heard interviewed are intelligent and articulate. They are very much aware of what's going on and how corrupt our political system is.

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, I think you just proved you’re about as old as I am. :p

This might be the most vocal I’ve seen the young generation since the Vietnam draft.

What’s the common denominator? Might have something to do with them being powerless over whether or not they get killed, maybe.

19. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Hopefully their awareness allows them to see that it has been that way for a long time unfortunately.

20. ericgtr12, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

By this age they're thinking for themselves and she's echoing what much of the younger generation thinks. As for Trump supporters asking whether or not we have discussed Trump's issues with them, I would simply ask if you let your young children either listen to Trump speak directly or everything covered in the news.

21. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

True, but the influence of money seems to have grown in recent years thanks to Supreme Court decisions and inability to pass campaign finance laws.

22. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I like the girl when asked about gun control, said (paraphrased) tell me why you need an assault rifle. If there is no good reason, you don’t need one. No, being paranoid does not qualify. :)

23. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

1. There maybe a student walk out. But 2. There is a student stand up. 1 = anti guns. 2 = Pro 2A. I’m sure the media won’t show talk about #2 though.

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Not just the main stream media but it's not being talked about on social media either. I'm not doubting it exists but all the momentum right now is with these kids and their plight. It's about time.

25. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Sadly her question was asked from a radical gun control perspective. I would have loved to hear her response if someone had answered or been allowed to answer hr question. Either way, that question is not the start of a discussion as presented. :(