Student walkout

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Most people (said without any exaggeration) see Trump for what he is, Bad News. Love of Trump involves one of the following:
    • Extreme gullibility, Yeah, he really cares about me and this country.
    • Extreme selfishness as if the ensuing disaster will somehow benefit me (more profits, eliminated regulations, degraded environment, less Mexicans). :oops:
    • Victim of propaganda.
    • Anarchist.
    • Easy mark (Vlad).

2. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

It ain't going to change a thing, for in a few months this outrage over shootings will quiet down there will be sadly another school shooting.:oops: At least these children go to have a recess during the week.

3. jeyf macrumors 65816

the boomer generation and the age of Aquarius is ending badly

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I bet half the kids jumped at the chance simply to miss school. I'd be the first in line for the blood drive in high school if it meant missing 6th period English with Mrs. Tanner that cranky old bag.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It's funny how those who protect these weapons call those who want to stop them radicals while not expressing a single cross word about the person who used it to shoot 17 people.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

"When I was a child I thought like a child" and that is what the girl is doing. She has no right to question why anyone needs anything. I would just bet anything, that if asked, there would never be a "good reason" to own an AR-15 to her. What law-abiding people do with their own money is none of her concern.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Rhonindk hasn't spoken against the shooter? (Genuinely curious, not making a statement).

I have no problem calling the shooter the scum of the earth, lowest humanity has to offer, etc... Still think it's different to want to stop shooters vs ban all guns.

First comment I had when the Florida shooting was that I thought that AR15s were only able to be purchased by current-ex military / current-ex law enforcement. Boggles my mind how a kid can purchase one of those legally - something is seriously wrong when that happens.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

WHY .. I repeat WHY do gun advocates ALWAYS say "ban all guns" when the subject of banning the ar-15 comes up ?

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Good question. I think the only people who should have the AR-15 are current or former military / police. I'd gladly support a measure to enforce that.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The girl I mentioned was not thinking like a child, if the implication her logic is impaired. The approach is very logical. She saw the death and destruction and consequently, she probably sees no good reason to own such a weapon, only bad ones, unless the NRA promotes the ability to kill large numbers of people a good idea.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Again, it is not her place to determine what someone else needs.

12. Fugabutacus macrumors regular

The law they have to abide by is, though.

13. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Not a valid answer. It is her place to have an opinion on this topic.
    This conversation is about gun violence and opinions are expressed. If you think you need a machine gun, I can say you don’t need it or should not have it. A collection of such opinions among concerned leaders and citizens will determine the outcome in the form of rules, regulations, and laws.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

watching the birth of the Dem Communist Party
    Protect? No. I've never said that.
    Her question was asked in the form of a sound bite not really looking for an objective answer.
    Now if she really asked it as a serious question and was looking for honest answers ... That would have been more effective from a discussion perspective. Sadly it was not.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2018 ---
    What in many cases starts as Ban the AR-15 turns into Ban Assault Weapons with deliberate redefining of the term Assault into Ban Semi-Automatic Weapons which turns into ...

What works better from my point of view: let the experts define classes of firearms and define what classes a private citizen can and cannot own. Current definitions like Semi-Auto are too broad.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 14, 2018 ---
    She is entitled to her opinion. However, if she wants to have a serious discussion about that topic, she needs to have more information, more experience than she has. To @ucfgrad93 pint, she has limited knowledge and limited interpretive experience; for her age aka "child's view". Without this, her opinion becomes a demand.

Love how you placed "machine gun" into your post. ;)

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Which turns into what exactly ? Last I saw all those weapons are legal.

16. sean000, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018

sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

You could ask the same questions of older adults who pledged to help get rid of Obama. Some high school students are more informed voters than are many older adults, and they can articulate their political views quite well.

Of course the way our voting system works it doesn't really matter how informed you are. Regardless of age you can vote for a single issue, along party lines, against something or someone, or because your best friend or a celebrity likes a particular candidate. At least your typical 18 year old has (hopefully) had some recent education regarding history, current events, and the way our government works. High school students are often not given enough credit for their ability to think critically for themselves, and of course some of them fail to demonstrate that skill. So do some older adults. Ask a few questions outside of polling stations and you will find that many adults don't understand what they vote for or against.

17. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

They currently are. The latest efforts are trying to effect a ban in whole or in part.

18. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

So school children walked out of lessons without permission. Is this not against school policy? Will they be suspended?

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So you're whole view is based on paranoia.

Gotcha.

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Some may have, some did not, as some were planned by the school, with the district supporting it.

BL.

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Paranoia? More like WTF? Disbelief. :cool:
    Some of the stuff we see or read locally is nuts. Then again, this is Cali.

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

You think these kids need to continue to miss class to go to protests?!? They can do it on their time off. Not only is it the law, considering liberals go on about uneducated voters better get dem kids back in school.

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

This was an interesting read (LINK)
    I wonder how much information like this was supplied or made available to students and parental units ...

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Source for this, please.

BL.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

So by that statement I'm gonna guess you would have no problem when "it's the law" to not possess the AR-15 ?

Oh wait !! 2nd amendment.

Ever heard of the FIRST amendment ?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.