Students at Catholic College Offended by Hanging Crucifixes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Now this is just silly. If it's a Catholic school, why would anyone be surprised or offended by a crucifix? I mean, seriously.

3. iAthena macrumors regular

Agreed. Hard to believe that this even became news.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Exactly. I thought Catholicism and veneration of the cross went hand in hand.

Don't Catholics even sleep with crucifixes above their beds?

So what's to offend?
    :confused:

5. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I don't think you're going to find many people on here that are going to disagree with the original comment from Lee.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It's the not-so-Catholic that are offended. Lee's right - I don't get what the confusion is. The school was Catholic yesterday, just as it is today. I think Hoveyda and Kirschner just want to see their names in the paper. They certainly don't do anything to promote the rationalism of science...

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nope. If you don't want to see crucifixes hanging on the walls, what the holy hell are you doing at a Catholic university? :rolleyes:

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If it walks like a duck ....

I don't always agree with the Catholic church, hell, hardly ever, but their chosen symbol should be unquestioned.

9. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Taking offense for the sake of being noticed is always stupid. Its what makes the Caveman commercials so bad.

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Agreed.

Why would anyone attend a private religious college, and then complain about the religion in the classroom?

Here's a tip, offended BC students: Go to a public university.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, some people will just complain about anything.

12. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

To a degree, more with older Catholics

Eh, not really. I'm Catholic and you won't find a crucifix hanging anywhere in my house. Same with my parents. Now, older Catholics may. I know my grandparents always had one hanging over their bed. I think it's more of a generational thing.

Who knows?? I have a cousin that goes to a Catholic college and she was complaining about having to take a religious class that's required for all freshmen. I asked her why she was complaining when she knows it's a Catholic college and she knew the class was required before she even replied. Her answer, it's still not right. Some people are clueless.

13. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Or just a nonreligious private college, if they've got a thing for private colleges.

This really should be a nonissue; I know a few private colleges that require their students to attend chapel and these guys think a cross in the classroom is a big deal?

Half the time the required religion courses aren't even pro whatever the college denomination is. My religion class was more like religious history taught by a Calvinist at a school distinctly in the opposite direction.