Students quarantined at UCLA, Cal State LA until they prove

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 25, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-new...eGHB-ThnUfyIOhiWNMgMUfRot6zj-hq4N_VlNCjbUYm6k
    that sucks

2. jerwin macrumors 68020

You know what sucks?
    Roald Dahl, 1988

3. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I was nearly denied entry my senior year of college because I couldn't provide my records in time. Thankfully an extension was given and I tracked down the records.

With the outbreak all across the country -- and NYS hardest hit -- I think the schools must take this stance. It's going to spread even more unfortunately.

4. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Stupid anti-vaxxers did this - with our luck they'll bring back Polio too.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I had to prove I had had vaccinations for university.

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Im all for personal beliefs but if your belief is based out of ignorance and that puts someone else's kid at risk, then that's a problem and your belief should take a back seat.

7. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Anti-vaxxers coming mostly from the right-wing (anti-science) GOP base.

It's the bigmouth demagogues like Rush Limbaugh that had provided a voice for the anti-vaxxers for years.

8. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

If you'd called them NAZI's we could have had the thread closed.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There’s a fair few hippy leftie anti-vaxxers too.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I don't recall having to prove I had mine in CA.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2019 ---
    sorry, but I know a few lefties who are anti vax.

11. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I didn't have to prove mine, but that was in the 80's. My daughter had to provide proof before she entered University, and that was 4 years ago.

12. LordVic macrumors 603

Yeah, the Anti-Vaxx thing is not really a left v right thing. it's more stemming from the idea that everyone believes they have the right to an opinion, and don't care anymore if that opinion is based on reality or wrong facts.

but they're entitled to it regardless and anyone who tells them otherwise is wrong.

Unfortunately, this is where regulation and some level of authority needs to be able to step in, tell them they're wrong, and that their poor opinions are a detriment to public health and that their opinions are irrelevant to society.

But we're so afraid these days of enforcing anything that might be seen as authoritarian, even when it makes sense because we're constantly afraid now of playing politics and offending "people", even if those people are wrong. Because they're voters. So no matter how wrong they are, politicians want their vote and will yield if they believe the group is enough people to matter

Vaccinations should be mandatory, unless a provable medical condition can be shown.

13. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I'm unable to get most vaccinations due to birth issues related to being intersex. When I entered university in the mid-90's I had to get release papers from my doctors stating why I wasn't vaccinated.

Also... as someone who couldn't get most vaccinations, if you're an anti-vaxxer, I hope you get mauled by a pissed off baboon.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

not a fan of having the GOVT mandate what goes into your body.

15. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Where in the world did you get that information? Do you work for CNN? :)

16. LordVic macrumors 603

Nor am I.

I would generally agree that for MOST instances, the government should not be inovlved in deciding what, and how we put things into ourselves.

want to walk around witha buttplug all day long, Go for it :p
    want to inject yourself with glass beads because it makes your skin feel all bumpy... sure, whatever floats your boat.

want to not take life saving vaccines for non-communicable diseases? Sure, you're not hurting anyone else.

But refusing to take life saving vaccines for COMMUNICABLE diseases we have almost all but eradicated as some form of stance against government is just an assanine position, since it absolutely starts putting others at risk. it is the governments job to weigh the individual choice versus societal safety.

Vaccines for communicable diseases are the one place where we essentially have 100% evidence about it's worthwhile efficacy.

17. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I only care because it’s a clear negative externality in bringing back diseases that we eradicated decades ago. Otherwise if you believe the earth is flat or that we didn’t land on the moon I couldn’t care less.

18. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

You're entitled to your Libertarian rights, sure…. but your libertarian rights END when you or your kids spread deadly germs to other kids, or my kids.

That's the whole issue right there. I don't mind you demanding your freedom to do whatever with your body. But when your body (or your children's bodies) are spreading lethal communicable diseases to myself, my friends, my family…. then something must be done to stop/regulate your ability to spread deadly diseases to others (such as myself, my family, my kids). That's why I support the schools efforts to quarantine and to require vaccinations.

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

He's not Libertarian. He's too smart to be one.

Good on these schools. Unless you have a legitimate reason for not being able to get vaccinated, then don't bother bitching about it.