Students refuse to let their tragedy be politicized

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisBougieLife, May 9, 2019.

1. ThisBougieLife, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...g-vigil-students-walk-out-protest/1150282001/

A vigil was held last night purportedly to honor the student who was killed in the recent shooting at STEM School Highlands Ranch, but it soon became clear that most of the speakers at the vigil were not interested in honoring the victim, but politicians and gun control advocates wishing to use the tragedy to push their political agenda. Many of the angry, upset students walked out of the vigil and had their own impromptu vigil outside in the rain.

Good for them. It's nearly impossible to avoid politicizing a tragedy; everyone wants to be the first to pounce on it with their own agenda, but I'm glad these students are trying to shut out the noise and mourn someone who was killed heroically.

2. LordVic macrumors 603

you're going to get the following responses from the same expected people

"tragedy isn't the time to make it political!"

and then once enough time is passed

"that event was history, why are you policitizing it now"

there's no good faith discussion to be had here unfortunately as it's gun related.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

Agree! Good on them for peacefully lodging their protest and continuing their vigil... Maybe they can rub off on the so called adults?

We already see the divisive rhetoric that will follow in post 2 but I applaud these kids for behaving better than most adults do...

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...E0miCifjP-HPjaX1h_bR9aVfHTuLyotmfCVCz3WwVlC-8
    we have issues in this country :(
    [​IMG]

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

On the one hand I understand what you are saying. There is a time and a place for discussing the politics of this and a memorial vigil is not one of them. Vigils should be opportunities to grieve and to remember the people lost.

On the other hand, how many school shootings have there been and how many more will there be before the society reacts to stop it? This is not one isolated incident. It is one link in a very long chain of gun-related violence that has killed people in schools, places of worship, the streets, etc. After each of these incidents, we get thoughts and prayers but no action. I guess those in the US in favor of unfettered gun and ammunition access value convenience over the lives of the people who pay the price for that convenience. It was inappropriate to raise this point at the vigil, but it does need to be raised.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I agree.

While I don't think the 2nd Amendment should be abolished, I believe that increase control and tracking of firearms would be beneficial. Maybe psych evals for people applying to get the firearms would be good.

As to gun violence in schools, and in general, I think people are too quick to blame the weapons involved, and the root causes of these tragedies are ignored.

Although, it is typical for people to concentrate on the symptoms of problems, instead of the root causes.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

No thanks.

8. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I agree the root causes need to be addressed. But the easy access to the guns changes the whole game. The weapons of mass killing do make a difference.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Unfortunately every shooting is political in the United States due to the fact politicians like to bury their heads in the sand and not tackle the problem. I feel sorry for the students here as they want to remember their friend but sadly there is never a ‘convenient’ time to talk about gun control.

If you address it in the immediate aftermath it’s ‘too soon’ and inappropriate to the victims according to pro gun advocates. If you leave it a period of time after the event then the response is time has moved on. There’s always a way to dodge discussing it.

Maybe these students will campaign against tougher gun control once the grief has become less in future? I hope so as it needs more brave individuals to take it on.

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

They walked out of an explicit gun control group hosted event...

Is it fun to be so easily manipulated by **** “journalism”?

11. ThisBougieLife thread starter macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Well the article says the event was "primarily billed" as a memorial for Kendrick Castillo, so that seems a bit manipulative to me.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Indeed lol. Considering it was no secret the vigil was organised by a gun control group I have no doubt they were aware the topic might come up lol.

Googling this story it’s funny how different media sources spin it to support an agenda. USAToday is obviously from a more pro gun angle judging by how they’ve reported it and emphasised heavily the ‘sneakiness’ of the gun control group. More neutral sources seem to mention vital pieces of information and it sounds a lot less sensational.

13. raqball, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

I'd support that along with ending the no check gun show sales...

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The bottom line is without gun control, school shootings have escalated to epic proportions. Those from other countries, who have real gun control laws, look at us with bewilderment that we just continue to let these kids get gunned down and do absolutely nothing about it, and rightfully so. We, as Americans, allow this to happen.

15. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

The root cause is that people are innately evil. Period. The only reason someone like you or me isn't taking an illegal advantage of the right to own a gun by killing someone is because we are choosing to suppress those evil desires. Many people have no morals and will therefore murder someone or a group of people regardless of legally or illegally owning a gun. Will we make knives illegal if there are people being murdered by them? We have to draw the line at some point and realize that guns do not kill people. People kill people.

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

Guns and knives are not the same. Knives generally don’t result in mass killings.

17. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

That example was used primarily to make a point.

Even if guns were made completely illegal and the second amendment revoked, murderers intent on killing will still find another way to obtain the weapons they desire. No amount of legislation will stop that. When legal gun ownership is taken away, all the good people who own guns will give them up and a black market for buying and selling guns will develop and only the people with bad intentions will have access to guns leaving the good people defenseless.

18. pl1984 macrumors 68020

What do you propose to stop it? Are you thinking ambiguous things like "common sense" gun control?
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2019 ---
    We don't, at least not yet, allow easy access to drugs yet people still obtain them. Why do you think it would be any different with guns? As for weapons of mass killing it was my understanding handguns were used in this tragedy.
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2019 ---
    Define gun control. We keep hearing about this but I don't see anything that translates into action and does not trample on a Constitutional right (you know, that very same Constitution the Democrats have been going on and on about lately). I would be supportive of "common sense" gun control if someone could define what it means and something that would be effective.

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I respect the students decision. Whether they agree or disagree on gun reforms, their intention was to remember the life and memory of their heroic classmate, not to do other things. There’s another time and place to have that other discussion.

20. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

I will tell you the difference. a gun nut with a powerful gun can cause tens or hundreds of deaths in a very short time, a maniac with knife, maybe 1 or 2, maybe 3, maybe he will be overpowered before any damage.

so technically murder is still taking place, the ratio however is substantial. it's like saying, traffic accidents will happen no matter what, so traffic regulation isn't needed.

21. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Again I ask: What traffic regulation do you suggest?

22. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Thorough background check before issuing license.
    Close loopholes like internet sales, gun show sales.
    Restrict type of weapons, no reason why citizens should have military grade weapon.
    Gun registry and tracking.
    Gun insurance.
    Yearly renewal, vetting.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No, IMHO the kids were there to mourn just let the mourning happen then they can join the masses that want the political solution it's not like they're alone and don't have the momentum to make real changes.

I'm a fighter by nature I've been in countless fights I've had my nose broken more times than I can count, I've had bones broken fighting, I've been arrested for fighting at least a half dozen times if you swell up around me we're going to fight. While in the Army I was provided with justification and ROE that let me take out anyone above a certain elevation because intel said there there were only enemy combatants there but heres the thing If your not shooting at me I'm not going to shoot at you, that's actual human nature. Banning guns will result in fewer murders, banning knives will reduce that total even more, that shouldn't be law but it will likely prevent the weak and the crazies from acting out fantasies. When the AWB went into effect the price of an EBR went from a few hundred to a hair under 2k no imagine what black market prices would be 20+ years on.

Knives.jpg
    Here's $1500 worth of concealable knives that have a blade long enough to do real damage how much do you think they'd cost ofter a ban?

Bans do not eliminate the threat but they do move a bunch of it out of reasonable attainment.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I fundamentally disagree with your premise. While I am no fan of guns, they have been available (via the 2A) for quite some time. It is only over the last 25 years or so that shootings such of this have become prevalent. This points to some recent Societal flaw(s) that we've made - perhaps poor Schools, perhaps parents who have to work too much, perhaps the Internet and TV, perhaps all of these in combination and more. Yet, people aren't innately evil. Most people are pretty chill in my experience.

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

That is definitely a contributing factor but also in the last 25 years a hell of a lot more guns have flooded into the US market. These massacres in recent times seem to have acted almost like a lucrative marketing campaign for weapons manufacturers too with boosts about gun sales increasing by the year. This might be reassuring to some Americans but it’s a scary to see how many guns are being fed into general circulation.