Students suspended for "liking" racist Instagram posts sue school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mgguy, May 6, 2017.

1. mgguy, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017

mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Students suspended for "liking" racist Instagram posts sue school

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/students-suspended-racist-instagram-posts-sue-san-francisco-school/

"SAN FRANCISCO -- A California school district suspended a high school student after racist images that included nooses drawn around the necks of a black student and coach appeared on his social media site.

But a federal lawsuit says Albany Unified School District went too far when it also disciplined four Albany High School students -- three of them Asian -- who indicated they "liked" the posts on the Instagram account. The suit, which was filed Monday in San Francisco on behalf of the students, accuses the school district of violating students' free speech rights."
    I saw this article yesterday and thought it might be an interesting topic for discussion. While the racist nature of the instagram posts is clear and deplorable, the school overstepped it's authority in disciplining several students who indicated they "liked" the posted racist comments. The school's action appears to violate the students' free speech rights. Your thoughts?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's a death threat. So it isn't protected speech.

3. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Clicking 'like' isn't the same as posting. A suspension is a bit harsh, and this:

...is way over-the-top. Sounds like the school wanted to overstep its bounds.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Liking a death treat is pretty serious.

Someone from my school got suspended for making a false pedophile allegation. Seems pretty similar in this case really.

5. Zenithal, May 6, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 68040

District's attorney can argue that the uploader/account holder violated California's penal code on criminal threats. However, the school abused their power by going after students who commented or liked the post. California's penal code for criminal threats is straight forward, but when applied to a case, the language becomes quite vague and there's a lot of leeway.

Going by past precedent of school districts being sued by students in the state, chances are the district will lose and expunge it from the records, but require the students to attend some form of peer counseling, and likely be asked to cover attorney fees or pay an undisclosed settlement.

The law becomes even more warped if the school in question is a private institution that receives zero government assistance. Though I recall a SD County based private school paying out a few hundred thousand in settlement after it began monitoring students' MySpace or whatever accounts more than a decade ago and suspending students for things they didn't like.

Historically and statistically, in the US at least, schools and or school districts, including named staff, lose civil court cases. School administrators tend to swallow their pride/ego and put their "balls" away as soon as they catch wind of a lawsuit. No union will save their ass.

That said, this kid could do with spending a summer on grandfather's farm with no internet or running water.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't know if the school violated the students' free speech rights. I'm not an expert on the law. I'll leave it up to the courts to work this one out. But it is comforting to see I'm surrounded by so many legal experts. I would have guessed you were all a bunch of unemployed baristas. ;)

7. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Those are the Bernie supporters waiting for a handout. My legal knowledge is a very narrow scope of corporate law relating to the field I work in. That's enough for me.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm a graphic designer. I can make a pretty nice brochure ... maybe even a spiffy annual report.

9. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

That's interesting. I would have thought that a private school would have a lot more disciplinary leeway than that, especially since many of them are selective.

Personally, I'm fine with the discipline handed out (expulsion for the kid making the posts and suspensions for the kids liking them).

10. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I know absolutely nothing about your field, but I presume most days you want to crack a bottle over a client's head.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just like in PRSI. ;)

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

You learn whose posts to gloss over. Also, to never play a drinking game with jk's posts, unless you enjoy being wasted in your later years.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Every day.

...however, since I'm now old enough to be their parent in most cases, I just send them to sit on the Naughty Step until they behave.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I hope the schools get taken to the cleaners.

15. Huntn, May 6, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A like in this case, is the same as an agree. Without putting too much thought into it, I'm ok with a school district trying to squelch expressions of lethal hate between their students.

Edit: Added in this case.

16. ibookg409, May 6, 2017

ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don't see the post in question in the article. Schools over react sometimes. A kid in my daughters school was suspended for wearing a t-shirt with a war memorial on it. It was a depiction of the statue with the boots and the M16 with the helmet on it. The kids father was a POW or killed in action. I forget which. Either way the school said the shirt "endorsed gun violence".

Idiotic.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That's a bit harsh.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I corrected it.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That may have been idiotic, agreed. If they don't want gun images in school it would have been better to send her home to change her shirt, not suspension. Unrelated, but funny to remember, back in the day, a friend got called to the principle's office for wearing a shirt that said "a little ***** never hurt anyone" with the depiction of a cute kitty. He had to change shirts, but did not get suspended. :)

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I absolutely, totally, disagree with this. A Like is an acknowledgment, not an agreement. Add your Police Dept to your Facebook and you will see many likes whenever the police indicates that a crime has happened. Or if someone dies. Etc.
    At the beginning a Like used to be an agreement, today a Like is just a sign that you found something interesting.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

While I agree that in many posts a like can mean different things, in this case when you see a posting of a picture of a student with a noose drawn in around his neck, liking this has very limited room if any for interpretation, such as the alternate, thanks for bringing your hate to my attention. ;) I don't see that at all. Here a like is an approval of the imagery. Feel free to disagree.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why would college kids be following Steve Bannon on instagram.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Has anyone here even seen the post in question? Are we forming opinions based on content that we have not seen?

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't necessarily disagree, but then we also have to be very careful at assigning intent to something that is not explicit. As every Hillary fan knows ( lol ) proving intent is hard and it can't certainly be done by looking at a single click.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This is the first time I've heard that a "like" doesn't mean what it says -- you like the post, therefore you approve or agree with its content. Yes, I've seen people "like" a friend's post to indicate they've seen it, but still, if someone posts objectionable content, and you "like" it, that would indicate to me that you didn't find that content objectionable. I mean, why would anyone even acknowledge objectionable content? You either call out your friend for posting such a thing, or you ignore it.