Students who avoid making eye contact could be guilty of racism, Oxford University says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shyam09, Apr 26, 2017.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ing-eye-contact-could-guiltyof-racism-oxford/

Bonus:
    Now stare into my eyes when you reply to this thread.

[​IMG]

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Or not making eye contact is a sign of social anxiety or autism to suggest not making eye contact is racist is a micro aggression against those with mental health disorders.

People need to stop trying to be victims.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is not coming from people trying to be victims. This is coming from members of the administration trying (perhaps a bit too hard) to make people aware of unconscious bias. I personally don't have a problem with trying to make people more self-aware ... though I do understand that many chafe at the idea, and ultimately, it's probably a lost cause.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

does that work with a guy?

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Like a guy would complain about a chick looking.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I mean if it was a guy you were not making eye contact with. you kinda missed that one. Hey stop looking at my balls.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'm sure a dude with moobs would say that. Ladies my eyes are up here. :D

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably best oxbridge students are less up themselves.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My first thought as well. One of the things that identifies Aspergers is the inability to make eye contact. This proposal definitely singles out those on the spectrum. The original point winds up singling out a separate population to call out.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I prefer to not make eye contact with strangers at all, unless I have to. I generally prefer to keep my eyes on my own paper. If someone engages me I will meet their eye and be friendly but given the option I prefer to not engage.

Is it still racist if as a white male I don't make eye contact with other white people?

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh well, with all the time people spend looking at their electronic devices I'm not really surprised they have to get guidance on how to interact with another human being.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hmm, I mean one can easily jump off the deep end over this news, or they could read into it. They're talking about treating different races differently.

I certainly understand where they're coming from - a relative once married a guy (don't worry she divorced him!) who turned out to be a chauvinist, he helped build one of my parents houses but he always refused to make eye contact or speak to my mother. When she spoke he talked over her and disregarded her opinion entirely. Nobody in our family liked him. But he was a cheap architect.

Not acknowledging a minority race is pretty bad. Why would one even do that?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2017 ---
    Yup. However, this article is about not making eye contact with specific groups of people. Don't get caught up in their fake news :)

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

This piece of guidance will be treated like nearly every piece of guidance a university issues. Ignored. Don't take this story literally people.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

This piece of guidance will be treated like nearly every piece of guidance a university issues. Ignored. Don't take this story literally people.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Lol. Now they will say that looking at your iPhone is racist. Is it racist if you have a black iPhone?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2017 ---
    Is Macrumors acting wonky for anyone but me right now?

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This very thought - and precise example - had occurred to me, as well.