Study: 91% of Japanese don't want iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Butthead, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/18/japan.iphone.3g.study/

Wondering, would nationwide network speed of on 3G in the US markets, make the next revision of the iPhone 3G, capable of these features? (firmware specific to each country, and would you be able to switch, or auto detect from country to country?).

Would higher res displays be practical on the iPhone, higher than 800x480?

2. Archon macrumors member

I think Apple will take 9% of the Japanese adult population owning an Iphone...for now :)

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I don't know, since Sprint announced the Samsung Instinct is going to cost 129 with a 100 mail in rebate the IPhone will definitely have some competition.. not so much from a performance factor as much as a cost factor, not to take anything away from the Instinct, the reviews and demos I've had the chance to watch do make it look like an incredible phone, not to mention it has voice dialing.

But you have to take into consideration that Sprint's plans are a tad bit cheaper since they include SMS..

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it will be less than that. for example, i want one but wont get one because im in a contract already and too expensive

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Just going to throw this out there:

How many Japanese people are there?
    What's 9% of that number?
    Does any other cellphone out on the market garner that sort of concentrated interest?

9% is still quite a bit, since we're only talking about the iPhone 3G.

Remember... "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics." --Mark Twain
    ;)

6. jontucker macrumors 6502

Are you aware that 87% of all statistics are made up?

7. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

Anyone that honestly thinks the Instinct competes with the post 2.0 iPhone completely misses the concept of what makes the iPhone so special.

It isn't the feature list, it isn't the external hardware. It is the user experience and the power of the platform. Yes, platform. The Instinct is nothing more than another feature phone running a typical feature phone mobile "OS." It has no potential, and it will never go far beyond the realm of its features.

The same can't be said about the iPhone, and I will gladly trade 2-3 "features" for it.

8. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

50% of the time. ;)

9. M0bile macrumors regular

Considering Japanese phones have front-facing cameras, video calls, and more, if this statistic is true it's not a surprise.

10. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Is this made up?
    :rolleyes:

11. Dr Lu 2010 macrumors member

agreed. iphone is too obsolete for the Japanese..laff at 2 MP back facing camera! :D

12. cube macrumors G5

It's also obsolete for Europe, with no video call and no DVB-H.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

By 3% of the population. Or 98% of the politicians.

14. brandonzar macrumors regular

I'm with you on this one, I have a samsung slider phone now and although the specs sounded great when I first got it, a lot of the functionality is lost by poor UI and implementation. When Steve Jobs talked about the high percentage of iPhone users that use ten features or more, during the keynote, it made me think of how many features I used on my phone, I counted about 7-8 that I had used in the past, but since I got the iPod Touch (to hold me over until the iPhone 3G was released) I only use the phone to make calls.

15. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

bah. japan. a sudoku game or other brain game using acelerators and these statistics will jump to an 50%

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, Japan's Population: 127,433,494 (July 2007 est.), so that would mean about: 11,469,014 want the iPhone x $199 = $2,282,333,078.00 just for the 3G 8GB iPhone, not including tax, voice/data plan, text message plan, or AppStore purchases. Can someone check my math, it's been awhile since I ran numbers on my iPhone calculator. :eek:

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I just read a study that said 8.9% of Japanese people are cool.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

So, that would make the "cool" population: 11,341,581, I added one because it was .97 :p

19. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

The fact is, Apple has a lot of catching up to do if they want to iPhone to appeal to the world market. The US cell phone system is one of the worst out there. No really, it is. As pointed out, Japan is 3G-only. Old news to them. Here, we're drooling over 3G and most people don't even have 3G coverage. Also many countries in eastern europe, middle east, and africa have absolutely horrible land-line phone systems, so they use cell phones almost exclusively there. A much bigger deal to them than it is to us.

20. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

It's true. This may be as good as it gets in the US, but the phones and networks in Japan always seem to be leading technologically by at least 2-3 years.

I imagine only the hardcore Apple fans in Japan are interested in the iPhone.

21. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Wasn't there a news article recently about how most Japanese phones are far advanced from those in the US but they use a fraction of the abilities because they're either half baked or don't know how to find said abilities?

If you're buying a tech spec sheet then yeah, the iPhone loses.

22. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

the iPhone is pretty much a yawner over there.

It has a lame camera, no MMS, people in Japan don't use iTunes much, and the real turn off...NO hook for charm attachment.

23. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Until Apple puts a 5+ MP camera in the screen =P.

24. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

In the USA we would just "duct tape it" to the back of the 3G iPhone! :eek::D

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I was going to say the number one turn-off was the lack of three different fold-out keyboards, the ability to automate your home, four different sized blades, a corkscrew, magnifying glass and no hook for the charm attachment/lanyard/flashing LED dongle.

My mate lived for ages in Japan and man do they have some amazing phones there, hell some of our are approaching that sort of level of ludicrous yet useless functionality.

I want a phone that works - the rest are details.