Study: American men make the best husbands

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spaceboots06, Aug 6, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

C'mon Australian guys, wash the dishes once in a while! :p

---

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/fe...tudy-american-men-make-the-best-husbands.html

Aug 5, 2009 6:08:28 AM

Instead of constantly nagging my husband to help out around the house, apparently I should be thankful.

That's according to a new study that says American men make the best husbands -- especially when compared to Australian ones.

Researchers asked 13,500 men and women aged 20 to 45 from 12 countries about gender, housework and childcare responsibilities. Based on their responses, American men were considered the best husbands, followed by men from Norway, Sweden, England and Northern Ireland.

Australian men finished last because they loathe helping out with the housework.

"In egalitarian countries you might, in principle, expect to see women preferring to remain single rather than face the prospect of spending more time doing household chores," study author Dr. Almudena Sevilla-Sanz said.

"However, this study shows that in egalitarian countries there is less social stigma attached to men doing what was traditionally women's work."

[​IMG]

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Oddly enough the results as printed outside the U.S. tend to show different results:
    "The full list of countries' rankings on the egalitarian index is as follows:
    1. Sweden
    2. Norway
    3. Great Britain
    4. United States
    5. Northern Ireland
    6. Netherlands
    7. Republic of Ireland
    8. Spain
    9. New Zealand
    9. Japan
    10. Germany
    11. Austria
    12. Australia"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...sework-makes-British-men-more-attractive.html

for example.This doesn't mean the entire study isn't a load of bollocks however.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

An American study says that American men make the best husbands? How could you doubt that?

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The study was by a "economist' from Oxford. I was just commenting on U.S. papers parochialism.

5. aaron11193 macrumors regular

aaron11193

Karumba/Cairns/Charters Towers, QLD, Australia
    lol America does this with the olympics too, apparently having more silver and bronze medals mean you are winning.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It was written by Dr Almudena Sevilla Sanz at the University of Oxford.
    Therefore a British study however the reporting in the original article is incorrect.

The original paper can be found and downloaded here, it was aimed at looking at household formation

Abstract

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Fair enough! But on such a topic I wonder how many reports give out wildly different results.

8. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm and American husband, but if I wasn't married and if I was a woman I would want to marry me. Wait, err, hang on... I think I just confused myself. :confused:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a pretty great catch, in part because I do a lot around the house in terms of domestic responsibilities. That's what being a team is all about, working together. :)

9. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

My friend you got ripped off. If you are the only one working around the house, then there ain't no team :D (just playin man) !!!!

Suprised we don't see any Frenchies in there :D

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The key is to set up a system. And, I'm not talking about what you think I'm talking about. Certain chores have certain value and therefore my doing them warrants me a certain equal value of lets call it "compensation". A happy wife makes a happy husband. :D

When I counsel couples the guys usually have no clue about this and are shocked when they find out.

"You mean all I had to do to get a BJ was run the vacuum and fold the laundry every once in a while. Honey! Why didn't you mention this earlier! C'mon we've been married for 3 years now and I never knew this was how it worked."

Be smart guys, listen up and learn. ;)

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If american men make the best husbands it stands to reason american women make the worst wives. The US has a VERY high divorce rate.:rolleyes:

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

I looked at the actual, original, study. The Telegraph fibbed, and moved "Great Britain" into 3rd ahead of both Irelands. The study placed Great Britain in 4th, behind "Northern Ireland" and ahead of the USA and then "Ireland".

The Orlando Sentinel just lied. The US was listed as being in 5th place, but the Sentinel listed the 4 countries ahead of the US in the original study as following the US.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Either way, the moral of this is: if you are an Australian woman, you should marry an American man.....or: Australia is a good place to go if you are looking for a wife...

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

LOL, I know what you mean. We just moved back to the USA after living in Germany for four years. I would just stick the dirty dishes in over there, but here you actually have to "pre-wash" the dishes. This makes no sense to me. In fact, I can do them by hand faster.

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I just knew portuguese men wouldn't be high on the list. :mad:

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Except you don't. You just report the facts wrong so that you do ;)

To be fair to the Portuguese men (and women*) they weren't included in the study so they didnt actually have a chance.

*The study isn't about who makes the best husbands it is about how both genders identify and fulfill roles within the home and how home formation and social norms either effect these ideas.

Indeed the actual listings according to the summary table

1. Sweden
    2. Norway
    3. Northern Ireland
    4. Great Britain
    5. US
    6. Ireland
    7. Spain
    8. Netherlands
    9. Germany
    10. New Zealand
    11. Australia
    12. Austria
    13. Japan

19. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Wish I could get my hands on one of those models! Yeah, all of the dishwashers we've bought in the US suck that much. Let some things sit for more than a couple of hours, and the dishwasher can't do the job! My mother-in-law has a come-back for any complaints about dishes that don't come out spotless (and I'm not talking about water spots). She says they are "dishwasher clean", by which she means they're sterilized (to an extent) and using them won't kill you. It just grosses you out.

20. leandroc76 macrumors regular

This is becoming more and more common here in Connecticut! Women here don't do crap, but complain and spend money!

All my friends women, don't know how to cook, don't clean, don't even know how to iron, they don't want to. Too few out there that are willing to share household duties anymore. They will how ever redo an entire living room.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Women in the US have become more slobbish every year in my observation. American culture almost makes you want to puke sometimes.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Your wife makes you do chores to get sexual favors?

Wow.

All I hafta do is ask. About 3 times out of 4 it works, too. :D:D:D

(Ha! Who's training whom? ;) )

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hell, we're in the PRSI forum...have you seen how some American white males think??? :eek:

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yes, they do. Total waste of water.

25. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

That's why I use it 3x with the same dishes and utensils. I wouldn't dare use anything I put in it until it's been cleaned at least 3 times. Ugh, just imagining all the bacteria that could still be on it makes me want to cycle them a fourth time. Yucky.