Study compares smartphone responses in crises

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Mar 18, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Nee "Your phone blames the weather when you tell it you're being assaulted" - But at least Samsung did more than say "I don't understand". Maybe the other vendors' products would understand if they were beaten? Oh well...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/14/health/smartphone-responses-rape-violence/

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

That's an interesting study. Quite frankly I've never considered as using Siri in a crisis situation or to talk to about feelings with. It seems to me these are just aspects of the technology that have not been considered. There are virtually a limitless number of horrible scenarios that you would have to program Siri to assess. And honestly, you have to be very careful what answer is spit out. Not all people will respond the same way to the same information.

As you've probably seen on many tall bridges, suicide hotline phone numbers along with inspiration messages and sometimes even phones are placed directly on bridges in attempt to reduce suicides. From what I've read there is limited data, but most conclude these phones and messages alone have proven to be of little significance. (What in fact makes the difference are suicide barriers- fences, nets, etc - which decrease attempts no only on the bridge but interestingly surrounding bridges).

That said, if someone is actively looking to talk to Siri about their suicidal ideations, their is probably a strong inclination to seek help. It's nice that Siri's suicide hotline casually says "shall I dial them for you" as it takes the burden off the individual and persuades them to make the right decision. Rape/Domestic violence could easily be linked to hotlines.

Dealing with something like depression is a very hard topic to address. There isn't a depression hotline but usually the first thing any clinician would want to know is if they are suicidal, so perhaps integrating that into the response with the suicide hotline would be useful. Bringing up a list of psychiatrists in the area would not necessarily be helpful, as navigating healthcare can be difficult especially for depressed people. It especially doesn't help at 3AM. Perhaps one of the best ideas I can think of is responding with "is there someone I can call for you to talk to about how you're feeling".

Getting involved with detailed responses can start to have liability issues. Unfortunately too, for some being spit out a generic phone number not knowing who is on the other end and doubting they will really be able to help is probably the biggest problem at hand. Like I said, theres never going to be a one size fits all response to persuading people to call the police or seek medical help.

There's a lot more that could be done with this.
    I just asked Siri to help me with CPR. She does a basic web search. Having an interactive CPR guide or choking instructions would be great. Tell her you need help with CPR, she'll ask you if you need to call 911, otherwise ask adult/child and start the instructions and counting.

3. 617aircav Suspended

Makes sense. Best they can do is do a google search. They can't program it to be an emergency response team. Raped, call 911 is your best bet.