Study Finds Alarming Number of Gay Teens Are Homeless

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 22, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh god- I just...I have no words. And this study took place in Massachusetts, of all places. :( This has to stop.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_...ds_Alarming_Number_of_Gay_Teens_Are_Homeless/

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I would be interested to know what percentage of gay homeless teens have parents/guardians aware of their sexual orientation. Logic should dictate that those who have not informed their parents/guardians and that don't know otherwise should be homeless at near the same rate as their heterosexual counterparts.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd be more interested in preventing this kind of thing. No kid should be homeless.

4. 184550 Guest

I'd be curious to see if the researchers asked if they were residents of MA.

Is it possible that gay youth are 'migrating' to MA in hopes of a better life and encountering trouble establishing themselves upon arrival?

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

From a logical standpoint:

How does a child whom is homeless and jobless find a way to navigate this country on their own to "migrate" to MA?

I would love to see this study get some funding to take it nationwide. If for nothing else it would spread more awareness that in AMERICA, the greatest nation on earth, we have a serious homeless problem that includes several serious cultural problems.

Then again, given the current political climate, its clear that our leaders don't give a **** about the poor and homeless, especially if they belong to certain groups that the old folks on the hill (and the young brazen bigots) haven't cared about in decades.

I really hope the youth in this country becomes active soon, it's clear that the rotten core of our established institutions need an overhaul with a culture that actually represents the clear will of where this nation is headed. It's time we pushed forward rather than propping up the ways of the 20th (and older) century and hoping for the best while everything that once made us great falls apart due to stagnation.

Is America to fall because it can no longer keep pace with the changing world?

Sorry for the branching out Lee, I just feel this topic is a very illustrative spider crack in the massive fracture that our nation has been ignoring. It's time we actually addressed the bigger challenges that lead to the disgusting things this thread has pointed out. Let's finally get around to treating the causes rather than reacting to the outcomes.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Interest in prevention goes without saying. I asked my question because it would point out if familial problems are the root cause of the homelessness or there is a deeper root cause at play.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well to be blunt the results of this study are not surprising at all but it would be worth comparing it to heterosexual homelessness teens as well. Mostly just to see just how bad it is.

Sad part is the results of this study should not surprise any one. All it does is confirm it.
    Way to many parents can not love their kid just for who they are.

yep because that helps figure out how to treat the problems. Treating symptoms does not stop it. Treating the cause is the solution.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's in my OP. Gay teens represent 19% of the homeless, while straight teens represent 3.2%. Pretty big difference. :(

Sadly? Hitchhiking and prostitution. No- I'm not kidding. It happens a lot.

Oh no- I agree.

9. 184550 Guest

I'm guessing you've never wanted something bad enough to do just about anything to get it.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Or more accurately- had to do what was necessary to survive.

11. 184550, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

184550 Guest

I agree.

I was thinking about a piece I saw on 60 Minutes 20/20 a year or two ago where an Aunt grew tired of taking care of her nephew and just bought him a one way bus ticket to San Francisco and told him he was going to visit family. She gave him an address and $20. Turns out the address was for a McDonalds and kid lived in a park and slept in trees at night until he finally ended up in a homeless shelter for youth.

I'll see if I can find a link. It was a part of a piece on teen homelessness.

I wonder if disgruntled parents do something similar to their gay youth; send them to 'live' in MA because they assume the teen will be happier in his/ her own 'culture'? I bet the numbers would be astronomically small, if at all, but still...

EDIT:

Happy, Gelfin? I also enlarged the part where I acknowledge unlikely possibility of this.

12. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I think it would be interesting to survey what kinds of families homeless LGBTs come from in comparison to homeless heterosexual
    Normally when looking at a problem figuring out what the cause is can help.
    The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.

That's not what the articles says, read it again
    Ever gotten lost in the woods and had to survive on your own for a week? That's what I thought.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You really are a piece of work. I'm ashamed to share this forum with people like you.

14. 184550 Guest

I just wanted to make a brief note; I was rereading Post 9 and I realized that my initial wording makes it possible to assume that I think being gay is choice/ want/ desire/ etc...

I wanted to correct any false assumptions as they would be incorrect. That was an unfortunate choice of words on my part.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I seriously doubt that. They may be sent to live with relatives or friends, but not to fend on their own in the big city. I believe most are simply kicked out or leave out of despair.

What's your implication? That homeless gay teens are more likely to come from Fox news watching households, that the parents vote Republican, are social conservatives and religious extremists? Yeah, I think that's probably fairly accurate.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What I want to know is the number that were kicked out compared to the number than ran away.

17. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

The US having massive problems with sexuality and tolerance in general is no news. However, if more LGBT teens are homeless than straight teens, that really shows the extent of the ignorance.

Wrong, the article says no such thing.

Calm down.

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

From the article:

No. I refuse to be calm about such appalling displays.

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

This is only true if you assume every one of those homeless kids was thrown out by his parents. You also have to take into account kids who know what their parents' reaction would be as well as those who think they know, and who run away preemptively, as well as those who are in denial and run away over unspecified "problems" at home before they ever fully come to grips with being gay.

You do own a mirror, right?

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Here's the percentages from the source article:

http://www.childrenshospital.org/newsroom/Site1339/mainpageS1339P751.html

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This would separate those. You could reasonably assume that if the homelessness wasn't initiated by the parents, the kids did it because of their orientation, fearing possible backlash/shunning/etc.

22. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

23. 184550 Guest

Because there's a vast difference. :rolleyes:

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Then I don't understand what you're trying to say. If this is the case, then there's no reason to believe gay kids whose parents don't know would become homeless at the same rate as straight kids.