Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

millennial_apr11_impressions.jpg

Mobile advertising firm Millennial Media today announced the release of its "Mobile Mix" report covering device, operating system, and revenue share for the month of April. After receiving a bit of a boost in March, Apple's iOS platform has dropped back from 31% of the total ad impressions seen on the network to 28%. Conversely, Android has bumped back over the 50% mark to grab 53% of impressions.

millennial_apr11_revenue.jpg

But despite Android's growth on the ad impression side, iOS continue to hold its own on the revenue side, as both iOS and Android gained three percentage points at the expense of other players, with iOS improving to a 50% share of mobile revenue. Android stands in second place at 39%, while Research in Motion improved by two percentage points to 9%. Those gains came against a huge drop in revenue for "other" platforms, which include Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, Nokia's Symbian, and Palm's webOS.

Article Link: Study Finds Apple Nabs 50% of Mobile Revenue in April

Ex_spy_guy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

I would imagine this is congruent with the customer base consumer type that google, android OEMs etc have targeted. To compete for market share they had ti start giving away products for free. Buy one get one free, buy one get 2 free, switch to android get a free android handset free with a 2 year commitment....giving away thousands of tablets at a time....consequently they now have a customer base that expects or perhaps. doesn't do a whole lot of app downloading unless it's free, certainly don't do the IAP options in free games because, well because they got an android probably because they couldn't afford something better....that's not to say there arent higher end android handsets, they have to admit...all those one dollar droid handsets stripped down to nothing that didn't offer an experience worth a dams with the 2 inch screens...no one is going to play games or use office productivity augmenting software on that....buy hey, it's still an android phone. At least they achieved the market share numbers

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

I would imagine this is congruent with the customer base consumer type that google, android OEMs etc have targeted. To compete for market share they had ti start giving away products for free. Buy one get one free, buy one get 2 free, switch to android get a free android handset free with a 2 year commitment....giving away thousands of tablets at a time....consequently they now have a customer base that expects or perhaps. doesn't do a whole lot of app downloading unless it's free, certainly don't do the IAP options in free games because, well because they got an android probably because they couldn't afford something better....that's not to say there arent higher end android handsets, they have to admit...all those one dollar droid handsets stripped down to nothing that didn't offer an experience worth a dams with the 2 inch screens...no one is going to play games or use office productivity augmenting software on that....buy hey, it's still an android phone. At least they achieved the market share numbers
I've never got a free phone, and I don't know anybody that has.
Every person I've ever seen within an android phone, has in fact a real, proper android phone.

So stop using the free phone thing as an excuse forth enormous proliferation
of Android 3 into it's release.
If it wasn't for the iPad, Apples numbs wouldn't be anywhere as good as androids.

Ex_spy_guy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
I've never got a free phone, and I don't know anybody that has.
Every person I've ever seen within an android phone, has in fact a real, proper android phone.

So stop using the free phone thing as an excuse forth enormous proliferation
of Android 3 into it's release.
If it wasn't for the iPad, Apples numbs wouldn't be anywhere as good as androids.

So you want to move the goalposts back to all android devices Vs iPhone?

Or did you want to stuck with a operating system vs operating system discussion, Android Vs. iOS as the article you are posting is about.

The iPad runs iOS, so since iOS is the same mobile OS that the iPhone and iPT run, shouldn't it be included?

Or should we exclude some android devices from the tally so your argument can be valid?

How about we exclude any android build that is altered in any way with an OEM UI alteration that brands the UX.

Vanilla Builds only?

Sounds silky doesn't it. Now you know how everyone else reacts when android fanboys have to add their own caveats to skew numbers because for some reason, they think that just because there are more droid registrations coming through network infrastructure, those users all represent the same class of consumer that Apple iDevices are targeting.

The high end android phones, whose users actively consume digital media, purchase applications and movies and music, purchase applications, are active in the android ecosystem. Those are the types of customers that this arrive is referencing, which is why I commented on why there is such a giant disparity between the number of android users and their lesser contribution to the purpose of the higher end, more capable devices, which is selling media and services that augment or replace laptops, game consoles, remote administration, televisions, dvd players etc...in certain situations. When addressing the economic impact of all android devices, I'm sure you agree that you would understand the need to compare that metric to the economic impact of all iOS devices as well.

Which is the point behind the graph above. Apple targets a different consumer class. They don't want people who can just have an iDevice. They want people who will use it to spend money on iTunes, the AppStore, in far greater amounts than on the device itself. Because they understand that alone is the largest factor behind getting developers to develop quality (albeit sometimes not so quality) applications for the AppStore. People are buying. And again, it's not because the of the sheer number of applications in the AppStore, it's because of the affluence of the customers that use the AppStore because they have a platform that makes the experience worth buying the $12.99 console class game, or the $89 tbt gps app, Buying a 9.99 movie on their iPad instead of the DVD, paying to subscribe to periodicals at higher prices than the magazine from the book store. Buying books....all of it. People spend money on post sale of the device itself...slot more money. Apple has a client base that spends way more money than android users do, despite their smaller numbers.

That is the point of this article. Market share is a great metric. If googles goal is to get a trophy for having the ability to give away or distribute android on the cheap so that more people, regardless of what they do after it gets in their hands, then they have certainly proved they can do it without the stockholders being concerned. That means they have a warchest. If that's how they define success then they are successful.

Apple is different. They want customers who will buy the high end, media and best experience that is available. Apple accomplishes this by not creating a vagrant friendly condition. They need people who will spend money after the fact, to attract vertical partnerships with application developers, media distributors, the entertainment industry....companies and individuals who know that they will get ROI developing on an iOS platform. That's how apple defines success. And they are successful.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
You can beat yourself in the chest all you want.
We haven't even talked about how the number of iPod's affect thus skewed reality.

Have fun.

I have no desire to get into yet another Apple fanboy and his rant about Apple superiority ..

Get a life.

Ex_spy_guy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
You can beat yourself in the chest all you want.
We haven't even talked about how the number of iPod's affect thus skewed reality.

Have fun.

I have no desire to get into yet another Apple fanboy and his rant about Apple superiority ..

Get a life.

Your inability to comprehend that an iPt, an iPhone and an iPad run the same operating system reveals your lack of knowledge to come up with a valid protest. If I were as ignorant of android distributions across the numerous platforms they populate as you are about apple and thei 6 they are currently shipping....I would probably say something to make myself feel better about my knowledge gap by making another inane, uneducated statement and make a quick retreat.

I accept your resignation from the discussion, but still leave the door open if you would like to have a grown up discussion about how you feel I am wrong. Perhaps you could teach me something, or show me where my opinion is flawed.

Good day sir.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
The reality is, apps for iOS are more expensive.
A lot f Android apps are free, or very inexpensive.

Also, Android has a 15 minute trial period for every app.
With iOS you buy it. No return option whatsoever.

I think the fact that Android has grabbed such a huge amount of market share in such a short time period, starting from a customer base of zero, speaks volumes.

And Jobs better not make the same mistake MS did.
He really should be looking at what is great about Android,a nd using those ideas in iOS.

Ex_spy_guy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
The reality is, apps for iOS are more expensive.
A lot f Android apps are free, or very inexpensive.

Also, Android has a 15 minute trial period for every app.
With iOS you buy it. No return option whatsoever.

I think the fact that Android has grabbed such a huge amount of market share in such a short time period, starting from a customer base of zero, speaks volumes.

And Jobs better not make the same mistake MS did.
He really should be looking at what is great about Android,a nd using those ideas in iOS.

There are many expensive apps for iOS. Because people will buy them, that's the whole point. Apple markets iOS to people who not only don't mind the premium price for better UE, but prefer it.

The guideline is, apps will be approved quicker and received better if a lite version accompanies or is released before the full version is.

I think the 15 minute buyers remorse program is a great idea for the android market Place. If an application was qualified approved and Placed on the market and someone bought it, and it didn't do what it claimed, partial liability would fall on google.

The apple AppStore requirements are a little more strict for approval. The app is qualified against the write up by the developer. If it doesn't do what it claims, or uses methodology not described by the app submission application, it gets rejected or pulled.

The free apps in the AppStore generally make their ROI on the back end through IAP. They use a model much like google does, disseminate the product for free, which gets it into the top of the 'most' lists, get the user to play it, but then the user finds out you can't advance far or be competitive without an investment after the 'sale' or transaction of getting the application. Games like dungeon defender, high noon, metalstorm, GunBros etc. Solid releases that are free but have IAP requirements to be competitive.

Free apps in the market that dont generate a contribution to the economic longevity of the user community, developers or the owners doesn't do anything for anyone. Except maybe satisfy the people who are there to get more stuff for free....regardless quality or function...all they care about is free

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
The theory that Apple's quality control on Apps, is just that.
In my continuum, the Apple App strre I frequent, has numerous reviews about the app being a POS, not working properly, or not working at all.

I myself have run into apps nt working properly.
Something that inexcusable on such a closed hardware system.
It's not like the app has to work across a variety of manufacturers and models.

Ex_spy_guy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
The theory that Apple's quality control on Apps, is just that.
In my continuum, the Apple App strre I frequent, has numerous reviews about the app being a POS, not working properly, or not working at all.

I myself have run into apps nt working properly.
Something that inexcusable on such a closed hardware system.
It's not like the app has to work across a variety of manufacturers and models.

That's interesting. Which titles have you seen that don't work? Other than when specified by the developer that there is a requirement for a gyroscope, or multiple cameras. But yeah you are right. The phone hasn't changed much in 4 years. Neither has technology for that matter.
You should be able to write an application that runs on 400, 600, 800MhZ processors across 2 different architectures, 1Ghz On 2 cores, one model with a ROM spin and one with two. It's not like they are different. They are all rectangles and have screens.

Which is why it's odd that some android handsets get rev updates and some don't, some work and some won't. Like when the iPhone 3G got the froyo update before the samsung galaxy S did. I can understand that.

So which apps did you say were on tue app store that didn't work?

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
That's interesting. Which titles have you seen that don't work? Other than when specified by the developer that there is a requirement for a gyroscope, or multiple cameras. But yeah you are right. The phone hasn't changed much in 4 years. Neither has technology for that matter.
You should be able to write an application that runs on 400, 600, 800MhZ processors across 2 different architectures, 1Ghz On 2 cores, one model with a ROM spin and one with two. It's not like they are different. They are all rectangles and have screens.

Which is why it's odd that some android handsets get rev updates and some don't, some work and some won't. Like when the iPhone 3G got the froyo update before the samsung galaxy S did. I can understand that.

So which apps did you say were on tue app store that didn't work?

Well, right off the bat, co-pilot.
When using an address from the address book, when you ask for detections, all I end up with is a white screen.

Ex_spy_guy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Well, right off the bat, co-pilot.
When using an address from the address book, when you ask for detections, all I end up with is a white screen.

No where in the PD does it say it supports poi or tbt to destinations generated by user contact data. It looks like full off line maps with a bunch of poi they decided was important, and packaged it up for people who want clear sounding tbt, call handling while navigating, and the ability to one tap call the poi they put on the map. It doesn't even say it saves the places you have been for future use, or facirites

I'm downloading it now and checking it out ti see. I use Navigon and Magellan, for an off line tbt gps. 5 bucks is cheap. I can see why people would get it. The reviews are off the map.

Ex_spy_guy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Product info from their website makes no claim that it provides integration into contacts.

http://www.alk.com/copilot/featuresVid.html

Which I would agree is odd, but it's 5 bucks.

Pretty slick visuals if it looks like the video. Shipping to everyone wp7 iOS and droid

Edit:

Installed it, registered, patched it, messed around with it for a bit, I pulled 2 contacts our and set them as destinations, favorites them both, simulated one.

No issues. How else can I produce your bug?

http://www.YouTube.com/exspyguy

Has some screen caps of the app using the contact list.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.