Study: Interracial Marriages At Record High In U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Found this one from the AP via NPR.

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/16/146978803/number-of-interracial-marriages-at-record-high-in-u-s

Outside of same-sex marriage, this has to be the next biggest taboo of the day. It is less of an issue than it was 25 - 40 years ago, but still. on the other side of the coin, it also makes you think that racism, in whatever form, still is a problem in the US.

I think Richard Pryor hit it on the head when he said:
    Raunchy guy, funny as hell, but his point hits home.

BL.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Sweet. More pretty babies in the American gene pool. Not only pretty, but also immune to more diseases because of the genetic diversity. Win win for our society.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There was a Nova show a while back that traced the track of humanity worldwide using various genetic tracers, MtDNA, etc. Near the end, the observation was made that inter-ethnic mixing has increased so dramatically that within a few centuries, it will be impossible to map our migration history and current diversity geographically. Racists all over the world must be very upset.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So will anthropologists.

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I think anthropologists are all agreed that the solution is to do as many studies as possible right away. ;)

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I've been saying "Beige is beautiful" for, oh, about 50 years now.

The next step is the unseen "colour" ....... religion.

These people have to catch-up, and start intermarrying, and none of this Father-decides or Mother-decides for the offspring. Let them decide, when they are of age. :D

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think issues like these are what infuriate the tea partiers the most. America is no longer made up of white, anglo-saxon, protestants. Of course, issues like these mean the tea party has a very limited shelf life. They remind me a lot of the people who railed against the influx of eastern and southern Europeans at the end of WWI.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You guys are too kind :D

african american + italian + some other white stuff + atheist!

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

+1 about prejudice in general. But, no need to attack WASPs in particular. In my now seemingly long life (who would have thought it?) I have met prejudiced people from just about every race, ethnic origin, religion, national origin, language, gender, you-name-it. No question that the disappearance of "race" as a current social construct is inevitable over time. Getting rid of religious bigotry may, on the other hand, require an Act of God.

10. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

From my many visits to the States, I think racism is actually very rare now. Wherever I go I see some interracial couples. Of course the majority would always be same race couples, but I think this has nothing to do with racism, but more with how you normally prefer to stay within what looks more similar to yourself.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

You must be a catch! You wouldn't happen to be female would you? :D

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Haha! Nope, male...

13. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Not totally true. Inter-breeding will incorporate diseases once limited to a specific race into other "races".

I do think it is nice to love who you want to love but I honestly will miss the diversity that race offers.

I don't like that this is an issue that seems to be pushed by the media. If no more than 8% of marriages are interracial why are they so frequently depicted in the media?

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't get the part about the intermixed kids being brokers between racial "divides". Do both sides not speak English? Did their parents not get together without the help of an intermixed friend?

In the end I could care less who people end up together with, I just don't understand what the big deal is. I know plenty of interracial couples and don't really think of them as special. In fact I didn't even think of them as interracial couples until I read this.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Great news. I used to be in an interracial relationship (me white, her aa) until she got a job in a different state and I still had to finish college. We both figured to cut it off due to the strain of a long distance

I will say even in this day and age, not that it should be a deterrent, but you do get an awful lot of glares from people, nearly 100% older folks might I add. O well

16. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Not to pick on white folk, but what really scares me is how desperate the bigoted will become when the rest of us amalgamate into the universal race.

I mean, "protecting the race" has been a battle cry even when they've been the majority. What happens when there is no one left but a few holdouts who refuse to join the party?

17. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Disclaimer: I am in an interracial relationship, and have a child from said relationship.

With that said, I don't give a fat damn about who someone dates, regardless of race color, or sex. If he/she love each other, more power to them.

But on the other side of the coin with straight interracial relationships where children are born, I read somewhere (I can't remember where) it is much much harder for interracial children to have a bone marrow transplant, because due to the mixing of races, it is hard to find a donor.

I seriously hope that this isn't true. But this was something I read or maybe overheard on some talk show or something.. So there are its advantages, but if this is true, it's a risk; but then again, no-one said life came easy.. :eek:

BL.

18. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Milk?! :D

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This can only be a good thing, if people love each other, why the problem, with colour, race, gender, or religion.
    People should have the right to live as they want to, in peace.

20. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

I guess maybe it has to do with the fact that "white" people have mostly recessive genes. These traits may be increasingly rare if interracial marriages become ever more common. For example, there was a time in the US when blue eyes were the most common. My understanding is that this "universal" race you mention would actually look latino.

Personally I will miss diversity and regional character and although race may ultimately disappear, don't worry, we'll all still find something to fight about.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

For some reason that reminds me of an old joke. What's long and hard and filled with seamen. A submarine. *rimshot

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Wish there was a breakdown on language in the divorce statistics. Would love to see how many of the divorces in the interracial category were both communicating in the same first language or in a first language/second language or second language/second language situation.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you see many non WASPs in the Tea Party? I don't.

Here in California, some of the strongest anti-illegal immigrant sentiment comes from people with hispanic names.

Do you personally know anyone whose parents have different skin colors? What about someone whose parents come from different countries? The cultural differences can be huge. The children of such unions obviously have a unique viewpoint.

Language is simply an expression of culture so I think it's more a matter of cultural differences than it is a matter of fluency.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think you have no need to worry about this ;), but I see your point.

It's like Canadians that move South, then dearly miss the 4 Seasons.

25. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Completely ridiculous. Liberal progressive democrats have the most shameful history of racism in the US. From eugenics to Jim Crow to opposing civil rights for blacks, you people were always at the forefront.