Study: Kids under 3 should be Banned from Watching TV

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 9, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Graciously stolen from /. who graciously stole it from The Guardian.

This is an interesting topic for me, since I have a near 3-year old toddler and a 6 month old. We already do limit his time in front of the TV (in fact, the only thing he's watch as of recent is Thomas the Tank Engine), but we have friends with a 3-year old who watches Ghost Hunters, MythBusters, and others with his parents, along with playing Borderlands and some games that are FPS (not sure which), and I can already see the signs of ADD or ADHD starting..

Anyway, I know that the answer is better parenting (which is why I'm keeping mine away from the TV as much as I can) and can't tell others how to raise their kids, but with as much media and information and entertainment getting blasted at us and on other mediums (smartphones, pads/tablets, etc.), the line between TV and getting people's entertainment and information is about as clear as a Mississippi mud pie in front of a black hole.

So, whether you lot are parents or not, where do you think the limits should be? and not just with TV, but with every medium that info and entertainment can reach you and children?

BL.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I haven't read the study, however I have taken media psych classes, as well as a few neuroscience courses, and I already (more or less) came to the same conclusion. Unregulated TV is one of the worst media for developing minds.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I have three kids. 9, 5 and 22 months. Yeah, I try to limit tv. I also try to limit fast food. Some weeks, I do well with that. Some weeks, I don't. I can easily, at least, limit what they watch. No violence, adult stuff, etc.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Eh. My dad let me start watching movies like Aliens, Dune, The Wraith, Maximum Overdrive, Night of the Comet, and other flicks of similar ilk when I was 7. As far as I know, I turned out pretty alright.

...took a lot of therapy, but I...I...I'm okay.

5. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

And anyone over the age of 10 should be prohibited from playing video games.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

You will pry Bad Piggies from my cold, dead hands. :mad:

7. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

... Why?

8. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I can agree with this completely. I mean, Imagine it...

12 hours of unregulated Spongebob Squarepants... 12 unregulated hours of Yo Gabba Gabba or Caillou. ADD or ADHD nightmare.

But I also know that on the other side of it, when I was growing up, it wasn't this bad, and I did watch a lot of TV.. But back then, it sparked more imagination than (figuratively) destroyed brain cells. Back in my day (early 80s), we had some of the best TV to spark the imagination, as well as those that made us want to be superheroes and run with it in our minds, and even those were from the 60s and 70s, which equally did the same, on top of those that taught us. Sesame Street, Electric Company, Picture Pages, and more (I could go off on a tangent on this, but you get my point). We aren't seeing that now; in its place, we are barely seeing a semblance of what was, then everything else advertised the hell out of, sugar coated, and stuffed down ours and our children's throats. Makes me want to vomit.

I don't know what the answer is, except for letting us do what we should be doing all along: parenting our kids.

BL.

9. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

My wife and I have two little ones, and we are very cognizant of their time in front of the tv. In fact they spend the vast majority of their time in our living room which has no tv, so it isn't even on in the background.

Even when my 2 year old watches football ( should be hockey- damn you Bettman!) I switch to nick jr or hub during commercials/half just so he doesn't see half the crap that is out there.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

There's honestly no reason. By the time you're 3, the brain has undergone the most amount of growth, and it continues slowly until eventually it peters off around 20ish.

Games are a great adult past time

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

Our son turns six months this week. I think banning TV completely is a bit over the line. There is plenty of educational stuff out there. We have the entire Baby Einstein DVD collection for one, which he already is mesmerized by. I know one of our friends daughters could count to something like 30 in Spanish by the time she was three or four, I think by watching Dora the Explorer.

But, there is a LOT of crap out there. We were somewhere the other day where Nick Jr. was on, and my wife noted that it was like three minutes of programming for every five minutes of in-your-face blatant advertising. I want to avoid that type of thing.

But, I do not plan on banning all television.

12. noteple macrumors 65816

13. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

That's nearly how my SO and I are with our two, though we do have a TV in our living room. It is mainly off, but when it is on they are either asleep, or on and getting their entertainment from Thomas or Sesame Street, or whatever shows we turn on for them via Amazon Instant Video.

I'm of two minds with Nick Jr. First, I grew up on old school Nickelodeon. Pinwheel, Today's Special, The Little Prince, Belle and Sebastian, Mr. Wizard's World, and You Can't Do That on Television were my everyday routine. But back then, they were enriching and fun/funny for kids. Nowadays, it's very hard to tell. Pocoyo and Spongebob pretty much run the roost there, and as I mentioned before, just screams ADHD or ADD.

The Hub... I love Huboom. old school Transformers, GI Joe, Jem, etc. Again, grew up on them. But have you noticed that the channel is run, managed, and completely owned by Hasbro? You get their marketing and everything they agree with along with it. Don't get me wrong, most to all of it is not bad, but it tells you something when the next big thing for marketing to kids is for toy companies to run their own cable channel.

Like yours, mine spend most of their time in the living room, with our TV off, but I find it even more satisfying that my son will set up his foam bowling pins and beg me to turn on recordings of the Collegiate Bowling or the Professional Bowlers tour, bowls along with them, and pretends that the applause for the bowler on TV is really for him. Exercise and (our) entertainment, all in one!

BL.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Ban?

Doctors CONTROL what we do?

Not when I still have freedom of choice.

Recommend? Provide guidance? No problem.

Ban? It's none of your ****ing business.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Control? Unless some MDs have been busting down doors and unplugging TV sets to keep a bunch of toddlers from watching daytime talk shows, I'd say it's more a strongly worded suggestion than anything.

Getting suggestions, by the way, don't violate any of your constitutional rights.

16. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Ha. Yes, I've experienced the full power of Hub . . . Chuck and Friends . . . my son has most of the toy cars as a result.

We try to stick with Nick Jr because of their commercial break structure, and because the Hub does have some "older" shows which I don't want him seeing right now.

However, in a few years, I can't WAIT to let him watch the classic Batman Animated TV show.

He also LOVES Team Umi-zoomi. At least it isn't the Fresh Beat Band.

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Whoah there cowboy! If only you took that same stance against your own political party who wants to ban everything they don't agree with....

18. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

even if television exposure is causing direct physiological harm? should parents be banned from poisoning their kids? abusing them?

there are limits society needs to set regarding how people behave towards one another.

19. MorphingDragon, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

If the parents can't parent then for the good of society someone needs to do so.

We wouldn't need a nanny state if society at large were capable of being independent.

Quite honestly, there's probably nothing wrong with the kid at all. ADHD and ADD are so overused and people self diagnose kids left right and centre. What is probably more likely is the kid is presented with a world that is so engaging, and is left to engage with reality.

20. Teh Don Ditty, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

We let our almost 2 year old watch Thomas the Tank Engine or Babar. Half the time he's running around playing then actually watching.

Clarification: 30 minutes/day tops for TV. Do we occasionally go over that? Sure do, because we need a mental break too.

21. leenak macrumors 68020

I took a developmental psych class and the basics were that the brain is developing so fast during this time that various forms of stimulation are required. Sitting down in front of the tv for multiple hours just isn't the best thing

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Blocks, wooden train sets, and stuffed animals are all much better than TV and video games for rainy days and when it is dark out. When it is sunny out-- go to the park. Some things never change.

23. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I tried to look up the guy's paper but you gotta pay to read it.

But it looks like another correlation study to me. The guy doesn't list the neurological pathways that supposedly get harmed if a kid watches TV. He's also blaming everything from heart disease to obesity to diabetes on watching TV before 3, which I think is pretty stupid.

Studies like these are just guys trying to get published by selective quoting second hand sources instead of doing their own research.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

But he agrees with banning those things, so it's OK.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, as a layman I would speculate the neural pathways that don't even get developed, simply because he just using the watch-TV ones.