Study of men's falling income cites single parents

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cuzo, Mar 22, 2013.

1. eric/, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

eric/ Guest

eric/

Which gender plays more video games?

What incentive do men have to start a stable family? What percentage of divorces are initialized by women? Who gets screwed over on child support most of the time?

Also, this is particularly disgusting:

Note NYT didn't say that, they're just saying other dumb people said it.

Often times I hear the argument "oh man life is so hard for a white man, you big cry baby, try being a woman, or of a different gender..."

Which is true. It is more difficult. But the tides are turning. At my university, it's a 60-40 split between women and men, with more women enrolled. And the gap is growing. It's taboo to try and address the problem without being slammed by equal rights activists.

This isn't a upward movement of women it's men crashing. And it's something that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later. Arguments saying "well men still have this percentage of high income or whatever" are ignoring the trend, and the future looks bleak.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It was a thought provoking article. The most relevant part was the loss of traditional male jobs that require little or no education. Here in California, the gradual mechanization of agriculture is viewed with great suspicion by Mexicans and Mexican-Americans in that it's all about 'taking jobs away' from the workers. There's a great deal of truth in that and when you consider the fact that such jobs can no longer provide even a single worker with a living, it is tragic.

Obviously, the only solution is an increase in wages for those at the bottom. Why should only the CEOs get all the benefits?

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

One point that caught my eye was that "it's becoming harder to make a living without a college degree".

Anyone can learn to program, and that's a decent living. And yet, so many people who do go to college don't get a job that uses their degree. It's definitely interesting times that we're living in. Confucius would be proud.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Almost anyone can learn to program, but, only something like .5% of the working population (roughly 900,000 in the U.S. according to BLS) have learned well enough to make a living at it.

5. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

It is also harder for folks without a degree to be hired or promoted. Small companies often don't care, but many large companies won't look at anyone without a degree, whether it is related to programming or not.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The downward trend for males started around 1985. I wonder how this correlates with sales of gaming consoles and video/PC games.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably more to do with society becoming less sexist.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

LOL given events being discussed in other threads...

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Less sexist != not sexist.

10. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I do think that it has some thing to do with the attitude among at lot of males that being book clever is not a cool thing.

11. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

According to those studies, though, apparently men do have a positive contribution (on average) to helping raise young men. It is good to know that men can serve some function after all. It seems that men have been anxious about this, at least since the ancient Greeks and all the myths about Ἀμαζόνες. ;)

12. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

Uh, no.

13. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Well, (virtually) anyone can learn to program. Far, far fewer will have the capacity to do it with any degree of competence.

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

It probably doesn't help that over 76% of public school teachers are women. That number moves closer to 90% when you start looking at elementary positions. That doesn't mean that women aren't excellent teachers because many of them are great, but I remember as a boy how excited I was to have a male teacher when I was in the 6th grade. I have no idea if that makes a difference on the attitude of males when it comes to being book clever, but a positive male role model at a young age in an educational setting can't be a bad thing for a boy.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Excellent point.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, yeah...anyone can type a bunch of words and code that don't do anything or can't compile. That's not programming. I would say a good number of people can learn to program, but certainly nowhere near "virtually anyone".

I went to private all-boys schools, but 100% of my elementary school teachers were female, and I'd guess maybe 20% in high school at most. The majority of our high school teachers were male.

17. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Upon reflecting upon what I said, I would have to amend it and say you are right.

When I think back over my (too) long career, unfortunately I have run into a few programmers who actually belong in the "can't learn to program" category. And when I reminisce back to the days of writing 360 assembler, that really presents an even smaller population of those who "could".

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Men have more opportunities in the non-college labor sector that pays a decent living (although this is reducing year by year) and women don't really have much opportunity without going to college and I think they are encouraged to do so more often.