Study: Social Networks Spread Anger Much More Effectively Than They Spread Joy or Sadness

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jul 17, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://bigthink.com/Mind-Matters/st...e-effectively-than-they-spread-joy-or-sadness

Article has more

2. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Of course. Anger is like a wildfire; it spreads rapidly and out of control and swallows everything its path.

Joy and sadness spread more like water from a river.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

Luckily, my friends list on Facebook is mostly people who post generally positive, fun, interesting things. There's the rare anger moment, but it usually only lasts for a short bit, then goes away. I have a theory behind why I don't see it as much, but I'll save that for later.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

a lot of it is you can spread anger at no personal loss or responsibility. you don't have to hide your hate if you don't wan too.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Not surprising.

I went to a psychology conference and one of the speakers talked about the ill effects of social networking. We know people who spend time on social networking sites have more anxiety and more depression too. It's really a lot more healthy to spend time with real people and look at pictures. People use it as an ego boost trying to market their lives as more interesting. People get hung up on how many friends they don't have, or how many pictures, or how people didn't like or comment posts, etc.

I deleted my social networking life long ago and I can't say I miss it. If I care about you, I'll be in touch. Most of the people showing up on my news feed were people I couldn't care less about.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Most of the people on my Facebook friends list think I'm brain damaged.

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

This website represent the entirety of my social network presence. I have no desire to contribute to the facebookpintrestinstagram narcissism machine.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't post on Facebook often, though when I do, it's almost always something stupid. My last two posts were videos of kittens falling off tall things, and chemtrail truther propaganda.

9. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Seriously?!?!?!

What a stupid, moronic survey. It should go and suck something.

So mad right now. :mad:

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

Alot of them want to be noticed to generate likes or hope their insults appear on Jimmy Kimmel's Mean Tweets.

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

All I can think about this article is "water is wet"! :rolleyes:

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This kind of discussion really pisses me off. I'm outraged. grrr...

:p

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I deleted my Facebook in 2011, no other forms of social media for me.

I haven't looked back.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What happened to you?

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I almost broke my toe the other day...

Oh, you mean why people think I'm brain damaged on Facebook? Well, it all started when I failed all those IQ tests on purpose as a tongue in cheek protest over how useless those Facebook IQ tests were...

...yadda yadda yadda, 30 posts of cat videos and people hurting themselves on skateboards later, usually captioned with "OLOLOL SO FUNY", everyone thinks I'm dumb.

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

Society has become snarky since posting a witty comment with only 140 characters can get you on Kimmel or have it retweeted.

Look at the first few replies in any new thread here especially in the MR news section. Posters go for the home run comment. The short and witty. Gain likes. That's what the world might be like for the rest of our lives. Short, witty, and snarky comments. The funnier or wittier, the better. More attention. More likes.

Remember when Jimmy Kimmel did that Back To The Future skit last October? It was a commentary on our current lives. The future sucks. Nuff said, Marty.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

tl;dr

18. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'll admit that I G+ and I read my twitter feed but I'll also admit I have no friends or family on either. Twitter is for following music and G+ is for following the FOSS personalities.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

Cynicism. That's where the hate is born from. Saying anything we want online while trying to find humor with our sarcastic wit. One sentence snarky punchlines in comment sections, status updates, and tweets is the new thing to generate likes.

I too prefer forums. I like the anonymity. Been using it before Friendster or MySpace were born. I tell my gf who seemed to be on it 24/7 with Facebook, what are you gaining from it? What do you gain from looking at photos from people you hardly talk to? Wasting time. If you want news, just go on a news site. Overhyping and self-promoting their boring lives. Selfies has basically created a term for Internet poseurs which is how I see most social network users especially on Facebook. Poseurs!

Camfrog - Good enough for me. Skanks R Us. Better than listening to Tom Leykis. FM radio peep shows. More fun than all my years wondering why MySpace or Facebook is so appealing to many people? MySpace Top 8 friends? That site became Ground Zero thanks to the exodus to FB. Facebook likes? *yawn* Camfrog is all I need.

20. Tech198 macrumors G4

lol... well is these are social networking sites... its like saying forum people will get along always... (ya right)..

opions will clash. I believe this...

Social networks more anger because its more convenient. and i guess u can get away with more...