Studying abroad in London, can I unlock my iPhone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by adibear, May 22, 2011.

1. adibear macrumors newbie

Hi!

Okay, so starting in September I will be studying abroad in London until June 2012. My dad, who is on AT&T, has the iPhone 4, but he also has an extra iPhone 3GS that he's not using. He's willing to let me take the 3GS with me to London. Problem is, I only want the phone for local calling/texting in London, not to call home to the US, so I don't want anything to do with AT&T's international data plans. It's not really important to me to use data at all. I just figured that I have a phone that no one is using, might as well take it with me rather than getting one in London. With all that said, would I be able to unlock/jailbreak the iPhone, and buy a pay as you go SIM card in London? Also, how would I go about unlocking it?

Thanks!

2. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

iPhones are unlockable but it depends on the baseband you are on.

If you can get the phone from your father and post up the phone's firmware as well as the baseband, people here can tell you which process will be the easiest to unlock it.

3. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Caniunlock.com <------- it's a real site not a joke

4. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

That site offers nothing that you can't get from here already