Studying abroad in London, taking laptop, voltage issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mohmandm, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. mohmandm macrumors member

    Aug 9, 2004
    east lansing
    ok so I read the post earlier about the fried computer. I am going to London this summer for a study abroad program. What can I do to ensure I don't fry my laptop? I am very poor and can't afford to buy or fix my G4 PB 1.33 ghz. Any suggestions? Also, is there much wireless access in London if you happen to know?
  2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816


    Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    I spent last fall studying in England. I bought Apple's World Adaptor kit from the Apple Store. It includes plugs for nearly every electric outlet you will encounter in the world. A british plug is included in the kit. You simply pull the US two-prong plug off your power adaptor, stick on the british plug, and plug it in. The kit costs $39 and it is worth every penny. I had two friends fry their laptops using power convertors. I had no trouble with Apple's World Travel Power Adaptor kit.
  3. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

    Jul 1, 2004
    Yeah I recall reading that the Apple laptops do have self changing voltage things (sorry, I don't know the technical term, maybe someone can help me out...) because they are intended to be brought around the world and taken on trips. Also, I would use only the Apple plug kit because then they can't place any liability on you if in fact something does go wrong (but I really don't think anything will). If you use any old plug kit, they might say 'Ohhh you need to use only the certified Apple products, blah blah...'

Share This Page