Stuffed up reinstall of Maverick prior to sale :(

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by holoski, Nov 8, 2015.

1. holoski macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have sold my iMac and went to erase everything and reinstall Maverick. I think I made mistakes and lost my partitions. The problem is I don't get a hard drive to select when reinstalling Maverick from the web install. I attach a series of pics, I have lost my Macintosh HD drive, it is just called "internal drive" I can't make a partition. I boot into safe mode, or try to, but it won't boot up to allow me to select a volume or drive.

Please advise how I can fix. It is being collected in 5 hours :(

Attached Files:

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/14/reinstall-os-x-mac-internet-recovery/

3. holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I had tried that, I get to the page where you select your hard drive, but I have no drive option to select. It was fine before I erased the drive, I think I just erased the boot partition or something.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Did you try the "Partition" tab with Internal Drive selected? None of your screenshots down it. You can ignore disk2; it's the temporary Internet Recovery drive.

5. holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

I get this screen, but am unable to do anything. Thanks tho.

Attached Files:

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Open Terminal and type "diskutil list" and note the name of your main hard drive (probably /dev/disk1). Then do a "diskutil cs revert /dev/disk1". Disk Utility should now be able to manipulate it.

7. holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

it is indeed dev/disk1, in that it is the largest disk (1TB) However I tried typing in "diskutil cs revert /dev/disk1" and got the message "did not recognise corestorage verb "revert/dev/disk1" ; type diskutilcorestorage" for a list

Am I typing it in the correct format ?
    Screens attached. Thank you again.

Attached Files:

8. holoski, Nov 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015

holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone suggested this was the problem "Your partition map is incorrect, GUID is needed, not APM (Apple Partition Map)" but no suggestion on how to remedy.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You've left out the space between revert and /.

10. holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I had tried various formats, inc that and got this error. /dev/disk1 is not a CoreStorage Logical Volume.

Attached Files:

11. holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

I ran diskutil cs list and get this.

I ran diskutil cs revert /dev/disk1 but it says it is not a CS Logical volume. My screenprint says I do have a core logical volume, but there is no disc number against it. Thank you for your patience.

Attached Files:

• t111.jpg
      t111.jpg
      File size:
      42.7 KB
      Views:
    • t12.jpg
      t12.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Oops, I should've had you do a "diskutil cs list", which I see you did in your latest screenshot. Instead of /dev/disk1, try copying the long hex string after "Logical Volume Group". I can't make it out in your screenshot but it looks like it's there.

13. holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, no problem, I am grateful for your time. Alas, it says unable to find disc when I type diskutil cs revert /dev/long hex string. I tried with and without the space in the hex string and with and without /dev at the front.

Other research I read said to partition my internal drive, but it is all blue and doesn't let me add a drive by pressing +

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not /dev, just "diskutil cs revert 12345678" etc.

Edit: I should read the whole post next time...

Edit 2: After reading a few things, it looks like I may have been leading you astray. The steps that I found are for "fixing" a single drive whereas is seems that you have a Fusion setup. I don't know what to do :(

15. holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

I am grateful for your time still Nermal, thanks for trying.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is what you do...

Go back to Internet recovery with a command-option-r boot. Now go to Terminal and enter the command below exactly like I have it including the quotes. That will kill the Fusion drive completely.

Code:
    diskutil cs delete "Internal Drive"
    Now quit Terminal and start Disk Utility. You should get a popup like this offering to fix the Fusion drive. Tell it to fix the drive. That should get you back to a working Fusion drive where you can go ahead with the OS install.

fusion_drive_disk_error.png

17. holoski thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect, thank you :)