Stupid Apple Store Renovations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdgolom, Oct 29, 2009.

1. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I went out at lunch today to replace my iMac 1.83 with a new Mac Mini. I decided to go to the Columbia, MD store since it's larger than the one near me. As luck would have it, it's closed for renovations. :mad: That's twice I've gone to an Apple store where it's closed. Oh well.

I'll have to go to the Towson, MD tonight after work. Also, anyone know what's up with wireless keyboards these days? They seem to be out of stock. I know they got a new part number with the release of the new iMacs. I'm also going to cross my fingers that they have the Might Mouse in stock.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Retail store closings are fairly normal. The part that bothers me is that the renovations lead to less Mac Accessories.

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

well those are the items that people buy the least in-store...so why have it take up space which ends up taking up money. No point in going to buy software or something like that in store when you can buy it online. Of course, there are plenty of people (like you) who do go buy those items in the stores, but compared to other items..they sell the least.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You should probably call ahead before heading to the store. I always do to check stock.

5. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

I hope you have better luck than I did at the Towson store this summer. They have only one till which can take cash or cheques. I wanted to pay cash for a mini-display port to DVI adapter. The woman in front of me was arguing over the phone with her bank for 20 minutes about clearing a cheque for a Macbook, meanwhile the till was blocked. Things became very heated as a queue built up behind her. The useless manager did nothing and eventually went and hid from his irate customers instead of sorting things out. Really good for customer relations.

Wilson

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean it's a calculated decision, I understand. Even if Mac accessories were purchased on a 1-to-1 ratio with that of iPhone accessories, the space that a iLap takes up versus an Incase slider means that there is more profit in the iPhone case. That doesn't make me happy, however.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I don't get that why don't they offer proper cash registers at every till. Whenever I buy electronics in a store I pay cash even for large items. Though I buy computers online now when I bought my G4 years ago a brought $3000 with me and payed in cash. A credit card is the last thing I would use for electronics as you are paying interest on an item that depreciates rapidly, and bank cards have pesky daily withdrawal limits.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink that they have determined that the majority pay using something other then cash. Story on the main page about this changing.

9. travisjacques macrumors member

you know that you can pay your credit card off the second you purchase said item right? Carrying 3k in cash on you is just asking for trouble.

10. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

In my case I would have had to use an overseas card, thereby incurring a transaction charge and poor exchange rate. For an $25 dollar purchase it just did not make sense for me. I note that they are going to change this - about time. The staff using iPod touches is not good news however. This seems a very clunky process to me. A normal screen and keyboard comes across as much faster.

Wilson

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

less Mac accessories and much less space for workshops. Also they removed all the chairs, so there's no place to sit, which is not fun when you have a hard time standing in place for a while.

12. mdgolom thread starter macrumors 6502

True. I figure if they don't have the mouse or keyboard, I'll be in New York City next weekend, so one of the stores should have them.

13. timecarter macrumors newbie

Yea, the Columbia store is the store I go to. I can't believe that they are closed for an entire week! That's gotta cost them big time money.

14. mdgolom thread starter macrumors 6502

When the Towson store closed for renovations, it was for 6 weeks.

15. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Except you actually have to use a credit card to get a 3K line of credit.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

"We will be closed October 28 - November 5. During this time please visit the Apple Store, Towson Town Center or the Apple Store, Annapolis."
    http://www.apple.com/retail/columbia/

How else are they going to get ahead of the knock off Microsoft Stores?

See how much of a knock off the MS store is, plus some MS FAILs:
    http://obamapacman.com/2009/10/micr...opening-reveals-extent-of-blatant-plagiarism/

With credit cards, if you pay it off at end of cycle, there is no fee, and you get the benefits:

- extra protection
    - benefits such as airline miles

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's getting this way at allot of stores. I paid cash for my MBP at BestBuy last month and had to go to a special register to pay cash. The one they originally brought me to was credit only. :(

This was also a reason I avoided making the purchase at the Apple store, they don't have cash registers but those credit card things so it looks like they no longer take cash.

18. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I bought a Mini at an Apple store in cash, a purchase for a family member, and Apple had NO problem taking $650 from me :rolleyes:

19. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Think you probably meant MAGIC mouse, not the mighty mouse. In any case,
    just order online. Free shipping from the Apple store and it'll come right to your door.

And the Apple store DOES take cash. You seem very fearful-no cash registers?

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would imagine that these renovations have little to do with the cash registers and rather have to do with the normal renovations that have been going on for the past year.

21. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

Hmm...I don't think it's silly to use a credit card to purchase computers. I pay off the amount within the month so I NEVER get charged interest on the computer. In fact, I pay the same amount you would with cash. So why bother with the credit card, you may ask. Because buying it with a credit card affords you protection that using cash wouldn't. For example, many credit cards give you extended warranty, or you can earn points (Amazon points, mileage, etc.) with a credit card.