stupid question: why the heck did Apple take out the remote controls on the new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozziegn, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

just like the title says. why in the world did Apple take away the remote control in their newer MBP lineup?

so someone like me spends $2500 on a high end Apple laptop and I don't even get a remote like I did before? that's messed up..... :confused:

2. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Apple takes for granted that a number of people that buy a MBP never use the remote so someone from up top makes a decision to save a few bucks and not include the extra perk to the MBP any longer. Premium products really should come with more little extras than what they do but any more every company just tries to cut as many corners as possible to save money.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I think the deal is:
    1) Not a lot of people really used them (from what I saw)
    2) Apple saves some money.

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

But they did replace it with that nice black cloth:eek:

Kidding aside, money. You can now buy one for $20. I remember the first iPods had dock, charger, earbud covers. Now iPod & cable only no bud covers - but there are them stickers....

Thems were the good 'ole days!

5. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Since my MacBook Pro came with a remote I am not really affected by this but it still makes me angry nonetheless. Cost cutting at it's best and in my opinion it just looks bad.

6. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

it's not about being able to buy a remote for $20. it's about Apple porking their loyal customers for every single penny they can save.

think about it. I just spent $2500 on a laptop that's considered to be one of their flagship machines. and for this I get to "buy" something that use to be included not too long ago?

again, that's sad...

7. akadmon macrumors 68010

Just do what I did: order your MBP from the online store, then call Apple the next day and complain that your computer hasn't shipped. Don't forget to mention that you know for a fact (from reading MR) the the next guy's MBP has already left Shanghai, even though he ordered his full 2 hours and 37 minutes after you did. Apple will then promptly offer to waive your expedited shipping fee, at which point you tell them that you'll do them a favor and accept a free remote instead :)

8. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

The remote that came with my Merom MBP sits in desk organizer all the time, except on the rare occasion that I use Front Row to listen to music instead of regular iTunes. For presentations and such, RF clickers with laser pointers built in are far more useful. Can't say as I blame Apple for not wanting to buy and distribute vast numbers of peripheral devices that most people would never miss.

9. liquidsense macrumors member

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You also used to get a CD with iTunes on it...

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i remember the cd with itunes..
    those were the days

12. RichL macrumors 6502

My remote is packed away somewhere collecting dust!

-Rich L.

13. zgnoud macrumors member

just a question, how much were the macbook pros in the US before the penryn models came out? b/c here in australia the penryn macbook pro are $200 AUD cheaper than the previous generation. now if they took out the remote to let that happen, then so be it. i would have definately still bought the macbook pro even if they were still at the same price point as the previous generatio so for it me, the lack of the $30 remote in exchange for the $200 reduction is definately a great deal for me.

14. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I have 3 apple remotes sitting in a drawer, 2 still in the wrapper. I think Apple realized that not everyone was using them so why spend money putting one in every box... I can see how you are pissed but like someone else said ipod use to come with everything and now it seems like we are lucky to get a charging/syncing cable included. Apple probably has a few truck loads of these remotes sitting around and if you complain they will probably send you one but there are many people who will instead of complaining spend $20 to get one.

15. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

Because everyone was complaining they had too many. I didn't mind having to buy one, and I doubt everyone wants one. In Aus the price of the MBP dropped alot too with this update so I ended up with a remote, a BTO drive and still well below last months price.

edit: yes I my ipod touch box seemed very empty compared to my ipod mini. You dont even get itunes anymore, or any real instructions and no charger. I'm glad I had one from my old ipod.
    You get a snazzy black cloth though.

16. alleyslair macrumors newbie

I can help w/ burden of too many ...

This will be my first mac so I don't have a drawer full of remotes. If anyone needs extras room in their drawer I will be happy to take a remote off your hands! Let's make a deal! :D

2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Res WS
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think this has a lot to do with it.

And saving money.

18. basura! macrumors newbie

I've gotten plenty of use out of my black cloth; you can't use a remote to blow your nose...

19. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

I guess there aren't many users like me. I use the remote all the time with Front Row to watch movies. But it also wasn't an issue to just buy it extra for 20 bucks.

20. Appelsap macrumors member

Yeah, ordered it extra to!

Need it for presentations etc, watching movies.

Well, isn't that expensive :) And now i got an BLACK CLOTH extra! :D

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got one with my MBP I got in Jan. I haven't even taken it from the package. In fact I have only used the one I got with my iMac in August a few times.

22. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

1) Not everyone uses it.
    2) Apple put the buttons on the keyboard, so the remote is just for redundancy (since Front Row can also be accessed via the keyboard).

I remember when the MBP first came out, people were wondering what Apple was thinking when they bundled in the Apple Remote, citing it as being useless and pointless for a business machine. Two years later, people are bemoaning the omission of the remote? Come on, people, are you really so fickle?

23. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

This post is too reasonable!!

24. conchshell macrumors member

b/c the razor thin profit margin on their computers don't allow for extras anymore.

25. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

For what it's worth, I can count the amount of times I used my remote on one hand. Not many people use it.