Stupid question - Will the Wifi music store work over edge?

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
How would the store know if your online thru edge or thru your router? And why not connect and download thru edge? We got unlimited usage.

How would the store know if your online thru edge or thru your router? And why not connect and download thru edge? We got unlimited usage.
Not t be argumentative, but there is NO SUCH THING as "unlimited". Just check out all the people getting bootered off of Comcast without warning. The name "WiFi" was used for a reason. AT&T has a number of bandwidth specific issues. Clearly Apple wanted to make sure it did right by them. How would the store know if you're online thru EDGE? Try this... the iPhone knows whether to show an "E" or whether to show that you're on WiFi. The iTWS is just an app on the iPhone capable of knowing the same things the Safari or Phone app knows. How WOULDn't it know which network you were on. Safari warns you if you're using EDGE and trying to browse the Internet, but does NOT warn you if you're on WiFi. It knows. It always knows...

~ CB

alanisrox69

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
AT&T will probably filter it like they do www.viewmymessage.com (if you get a MMS message from someone on another network).

You cannot access the site via EDGE, but it works just fine on WiFi.

-Derek-

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
True, let's see how it plays but your probably right.
But would be cool to be able to grab a song u just heard anytime without having to find a wifi hotspot.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
True, let's see how it plays but your probably right.
But would be cool to be able to grab a song u just heard anytime without having to find a wifi hotspot.
well you could just pull into your nearest Starbuck's which probably is within a 1000 feet of wherever you might be and download. Oh wait...you'll have to pay for that wifi access unless you want special Starbuck's songs. ;)

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
well you could just pull into your nearest Starbuck's which probably is within a 1000 feet of wherever you might be and download. Oh wait...you'll have to pay for that wifi access unless you want special Starbuck's songs. ;)
The entire iTunes store will be available through the Starbucks wifi, not just the Starbucks music.

Jocko

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2007
Probably the same way the little Edge/Wifi icon at the top knows. Or the way the YouTube app knows.

ljones

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've had large emails not want to download over Edge. And the email was about 2 mb. Seemed to timeout. I get near the house, my wifi connect and downloads the email with ease.

So I too believe the naming of the new service is the key.