stupidity at it's finest.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 24, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. LordVic macrumors 603

Sounds liek the school board is trying to be politically motivated in their actions with pure intent to punish individuals of lesser incomes.

the board shouldn't care whose paying if someone is willing to pay. This REEKS of regressive politicisizing.

This isn't even a conservative style thing to do. It's now just being spiteful for the sake of spitefulness.

3. Zenithal macrumors G3

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Surely the School Board takes the money to make sure kids don't get punished for the inactions of their parents, and then sorts out which parents can pay at a later date...

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

If the parents can afford it, like Mazur mentioned they can ......then I agree with the school board. Whatever measures the school takes towards the kids, that's completely the fault of the parents.

Now if most of the parents are poor, then that's a differ story.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

How does Mazur know this? Does the school board have access to the parents' financial records?

I am not sure if it is like this in every state, but in my state, low-income people do not pay for school lunches. Even lower-middle-income families can get discounted school lunches. It is based off of family size and annual income.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2019 ---
    I am unsure how Mazur would even know if the parents can afford it. If the school board is just going by income alone, that hardly describes a families finances.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Hopefully, the entire school board will be voted out in the next election.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

You can pretty much look at the kids and tell. Any kid wearing a recent pair of Yeezys with Beats Studio headphones around their neck, their parents can afford the damn lunch bill.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Even that's not reliable, but rather an indication that the family once had some money, or that there's someone who is willing to gift these things on occasion, or there was a fantastic sale on such items.

One weird thing is that when people have a sudden lapse in income, they rarely sell everything—because it's hard to, and often the relative value of an item on resale is so low that it's hardly worth selling.

And, especially for kids, parents may be reticent to sell their stuff, hoping to sacrifice and scrimp without forcing their child to sacrifice a pair of shoes or headphones that may be one of a few very personal luxuries.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I would say you have a point if speaking one one or two kids. But when you have a decent sized cluster of parents not paying the lunch bill, that sums all together $22k, what you're speaking of is the exception.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't know anything about the area, but generally speaking, wouldn't the fact that there's a cluster mean that it's not wealthy, or middle-class parents preferring to spend the money on luxury goods?

As the article notes: "In the coming school year, Wyoming Valley West will qualify for funding to provide free lunches to all students."

That's not usually given to high-market areas, indicating that students in the Wyoming Valley schools need help.

And, there's also the hare-brained business of sending out letters threatening parents that claimed unpaid bills could lead to dependency hearings and removal of their children for not providing them with food.

"You can be sent to dependency court for neglecting your child's right to food. The result may be your child being taken from your home and placed in foster care," the letter read.

Look, fine, some parents are being scofflaws, but this issue of "school-lunch debt" has always struck me as a sign of what people like to call "Late-model capitalism." Why are we charging kids for school lunches in the first place?

Just bake it into the cost of doing business and forget about charging for it.

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This is all due to a misunderstanding when Trump forgot which department he was in a meeting with and he put sanctions on the Wyoming Valley West School District instead of the Wai O Ming chip manufacturer. Honest mistake. A fix will be expedited to the customary government turn around of 2 years. 48 hours if they can do it with a missile strike.