Style Over Substance, America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacBytes, Apr 2, 2009.

1. MacBytes macrumors bot

2. Shunnabunich macrumors regular

Shunnabunich

Holy hell. Someone's bitter and spiteful about losing their youth. I've seen better attack pieces on 4chan.

3. DR_K13 macrumors regular

Man that face makes me wanna [​IMG] .

Nuke it from orbit it's the only way to be sure.

4. addicted44 macrumors 6502a

Some Young Conservative apparently spent years of her life trying to get McCain elected...

And was apparently only allowed to use PC's while her competitors on the Obama side were using macs.

Thats the only logical explanation I can come up with behind this article.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I was never with her in this article. I believe that macs are style and substance. But then the article turned into an attack on Obama, who I believe is also all style and substance. So I suppose she was right to compare the two, just her opinions on both were wrong.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/megarolleyes2.gif

She doesn't like the iPhone or Obama and decided to write a bitter diatribe in a sad attempt to correlate the two. Lame.

7. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

Consider that her memoir was entitled, "Heroin from A to Z." :rolleyes:

8. macFanDave macrumors 6502a

Two defective MacBooks?

I'm from Missouri. (not literally, it's a figure of speech meaning "I'm skeptical.") Since 1997, my extended family has purchased over a dozen Macs from a Performa 6400 to a Dual 2GHz G5 to the latest Mac mini and iMac and I have never seen them having a problem that required fixing in the first year.

I don't know what this woman is doing to her MacBooks, but I'll wager that her problems are of her own making. She's lucky that the Mac Geniuses have quietly tried to fix her problems instead of pointing out the evidence of her abuse of the machines.

Before I had the iPhone, I had a BlackBerry and hated it. It was an ergonomic and UI travesty. It was a horrible, horrible phone.

Barack Obama was the far more substantial candidate in this election. McCain was a washed-up old has-been with tired old ideas who milked his war hero status to the hilt. If there was a flash of style-over-substance in this election, it was Sarah Palin. I'm a lifelong Democrat and I think she's dreamy (until she talks, that is.)

Stupid, unsubstantial article. Forbes ought to be ashamed.

9. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I couldn't even make it all the way through that goofy piece. The best bit of unintentional hilarity was her saying that she was going to stay with her unglamorous Blackberry. Wasn't the Blackberry the epitome of nerd cool only like two years ago?

11. IrishSniper87 macrumors regular

I can show you how she FAILS at life right here in two quotes.

"... Obama looks like the iPhone President, and the U.S. is now paying a "style penalty" for having him at the helm."

"Obama himself, of course, uses a BlackBerry. He may be in love with himself, but he's no dope."

Ok, Whacko. Just because your old and can't work computers or cell phone's does NOT mean you are smarter then anyone else.

I have owned and used both a Blackberry AND an iPhone, and I can say from my personal experience, both devices crash, and both devices have their own drawbacks, but to say one is more dependable then the other is laughable. I personally prefer the iPhone, but this woman is wasting her time writing if that is the best she can come up. I have seen more insight in this forum then from reading that article.

My favorite thing about this article, is that she is bashing a cell phone she HAS NEVER OWNED or EVEN USED and comparing it to the person who was elected THAT SHE DID NOT VOTE FOR. So since she doesnt seem fond of either, they must both be pretty and dysfunctional, right? Since she can do no wrong, any other way of doing things must be wrong, right?

Give me a break. The lady is a bad writer because she can't keep her own opinions to herself. Even her arguments have no basis as she has no evidence beyond her thoughsts and "conversations" with "friends".

Oh well, hopefully I don't have to read anything written by her ever again.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And strangely enough, also invoked comparisons to Barack Obama.

These are the kinds of people who give curmudgeons a bad name. I mean, if you're going to be cranky about something, at least have a good reason.

14. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, yes, agreed. But then, she was a NYT writer... ;)

The Forbes article was extremely tiresome.

16. winmacguy macrumors 68020

winmacguy

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

My favorite line from the article: "My bi-phone 51-year-old woman filmmaker friend Pamela loves her BlackBerry ("I've dropped it at least 300 times and no matter how hard it falls, it still works!") and her iPhone."

Right? So, if she's had the phone for one year, she's dropped it nearly every-single day. Exaggeration maybe?
    Also, "no matter how hard it falls" doesn't seem to take into account terminal velocity. I'm sure, given the right conditions, even the vaunted Blackberry would shatter on being dropped.

Ultimately—and I'm going to ignore the insane political axing—this is an argument about design. Blackberrys work, but isn't there room for a different OS and a different interface? Must we always have keyboards? Isn't there an advantage to the touch-screen and moreover, is Blackberry just chasing the crowd with the Blackberry Storm, or Palm with the Pre? Or maybe there's something to this new way of thinking?

No, probably not. We're just all trying so hard to be cool. Remember, if you do something that someone else does too—and that person happens to be good-looking or popular or (shudder) interesting—that thing is now bad. Be yourself and stop liking things that other people like.

Also, what does the writer mean about the "taboo against eating anything other than ice cream in France or Italy?" Did I do something offensive by getting food at one of those crepe-carts near the Eiffel Tower?

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I was just going to edit my post and write something similar. The Blackberry went through a similar story, first it was cool and the device of the digerati, then it become nearly-ubiquitous, and then there was the backlash of the "crackberry" with articles about how the device took away people's time, gave people thumb injuries, and drank all the beer while its owner slept.

It's a silly cycle energized by silly people.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm currently working on a maddening opinion piece about parenting, obesity, abortion, guns, kids these days, the global financial crisis, gay mexicans, lapel pins, and apple products all written from a conservative viewpoint.

$$$$ coming my way baby!

20. montex macrumors regular

montex

I think you can double your fee if you remember to include gay mexicans who voted for Obama and don't wear flag pins!

21. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Why do idiots always associate people who buy Apple products to be trendy shallow fashion prats?

Some of us do actually buy them because they do the job better.

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Ignore them. They're just jealous of our fixed gear bicycles and selvage denim.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

24. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I couldn't either. I skimmed down to where she connected the iPhone and Obama, then gave up.