Sub-£500 video camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by shellbryson, May 12, 2007.

1. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Okay, I've pawed through the various discussions here, and I've not really found anything suitable yet... as much as I'd love a nice Canon HD camera, I don't have that kind of money. So;

Can anyone recommend a good, compact, video camera for under £500 that's on the market now and will work well with FC, iMovie and Premier Pro on my Mac Pro?

My old Sony DCR-TRV310E has served well, but really lacks the quality I need... and it's bloody huge.

Suggestions?

2. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Is it worth making the stretch to the Canon HV10?

3. shellbryson thread starter macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Well... I bought the Canon HV 10. I couldn't stretch to the HV20, but after reading about 100 reviews since my first post, it seems like the best option for me.

HV10 + 3 HD MiniDV tapes + spare battery + 2gb miniSD card + courier + vat = £635.

4. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I've been using a Panasonic NV-GS500 for 2 weeks now & I'm really pleased. It's my first camcorder but I am critical. I'm just doing basic stuff in iMovie with a G5 and there's no problems other than the camera isn't recognised as an external firewire device which I think is odd. Anyway, there's no problems with that like improperly put away device warnings so .... I bought it from Tek Dome in France but it's an Asian market machine with no French language option! Ha! (That's why I wouldn't recommend Tek Dome because they said it had) but it has English and it was €721 which is £493 at today's rate. There's no customs hassle either as the fees are included in the price.

It's a very "filmy" looking camera and I prefer it, admittedly I've only seen it at 17" to the sterile news camera vid quality.

I seen them on eBay from Honk Kong for £100 less but I didn't risk it as VAT is 20% plus whatever the Customs want. But maybe you feel lucky......