Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to introduce a cheaper iPad next week that should appeal to the education market, and new software for the classroom, according to Bloomberg News' Mark Gurman. The new products should be announced at Apple's education-themed event on Tuesday at Lane Tech College Prep High School in Chicago.

97ipad-800x586.jpg

Apple is also said to be working on a new, lower-priced notebook, likely to replace the MacBook Air with a sub-$1,000 price in the United States:
A new, cheaper MacBook laptop is in the works and likely destined to replace the MacBook Air at a price less than $1,000, but it probably won't be ready in time for next week, the people said. The MacBook Air, introduced about a decade ago, hasn't seen a major change since 2010, the same year the iPad came out. Although the laptop is popular with college students, it has languished as Apple focuses on more expensive Macs.
At first glance, it would appear that Gurman is referring to a lower-priced 12-inch MacBook, as many people believe that Apple will eventually phase out the MacBook Air. However, the "MacBook laptop" wording is perhaps intentionally vague, in case it does end up being a cheaper MacBook Air.

12-inch MacBook models currently start at $1,299, and were last updated with Kaby Lake processors and faster graphics in June 2017. MacBook Air starts at $999 and hasn't received a meaningful update since March 2015.

mac-macbook-family-trio-800x330.jpg

Earlier this month, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple plans to launch a more affordable MacBook Air in the second quarter of 2018, which essentially runs between next week and the end of June. WitsView researcher Yubin Qiu estimated the notebook could start at $799 to $899 in the United States.

Gurman said the new MacBook "probably won't be ready in time for next week," suggesting it won't be unveiled at the Chicago event. Of course, Apple could still mention the notebook at the event, even if orders begin later.

Gurman nor Kuo have elaborated on what we can expect from the new MacBook or MacBook Air, whichever it ends up being, but it's reasonable to assume that we'll see a bump to the processors and graphics. If it's a new MacBook Air, a Retina display is also a possibility, but that may go against the sub-$1,000 price.

Apple hasn't specified if the Chicago event will be live streamed. MacRumors will provide coverage on Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. Central Time.

Article Link: Gurman: Cheaper iPad to Debut Next Week, Sub-$1,000 MacBook Likely Not Ready Yet

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Looks like they are also going to live stream next weeks event, this new MacBook could be shown at WWDC instead tho maybe alongside new iPad Pro's and or updates to the Mac lineup.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 12.27.51.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 12.27.51.png
    313.6 KB · Views: 647

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Apple kills the Air in favor a cheaper Macbook with garbage keyboard and no ports!

Woohoo!

And Apple will tell us how "courageous" it is . . .

How many ports are you using anno 2018 on your laptop. I mean apart from a usb-stick every now and then and charching I'm really not using any ports.

If you want more ports than you should just buy a mac book pro. Physical ports are destined to be gone and I for one am glad Apple's taking a front role in killing off ports and forcing companies to go wireless. If it was for people like you we'd still be using cd-roms and floppy disks.

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
We’re just repeating history here. The same thing is happening when the MBA first came out as the eventual successor to the MacBook, it’s just that this time the MacBook is here to take back it’s throne; it just needs a couple more years.

The rMB is years ahead of its time. It’s super light and compact, but I don’t think it’s just price that is keeping entry level users away. When you factor in the single port, new keyboard (which has been polarizing for some), low processing power, and crappy FT camera and THEN tack on the price, it’s clear it’s not ready for that entry market. Buying a MBP for the same exact price, while just adding one pound and a little bit of bulk is a hard deal to pass up.

How they redesign a MBA and offer it at a $300-$500 cheaper price than the rMB and not cannibalize the rMB is tough. I say they give the MBA a new screen, USB-C / USB-A, and that’s it. It will be as plain as the new budget iPad.

It’s best to put the rMB in a side category by itself. It makes things a lot clearer.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
How many ports are you using anno 2018 on your laptop. I mean apart from a usb-stick every now and then and charching I'm really not using any ports.

If you want more ports than you should just buy a mac book pro. Physical ports are destined to be gone and I for one am glad Apple's taking a front role in killing off ports and forcing companies to go wireless. If it was for people like you we'd still be using cd-roms and floppy disks.
Wow, dude. Not using any ports?
No disrespect on your use case, but I ask, then: Why don't you buy an iPad or IOS phablet and call it the day?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The newer retina MacBook always seemed destined as the replacement for the Air. Kind of surprised that it was introduced 3 years ago but never had any price decreases to slowly bring (at least the base price) down to $999.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Wow, dude. Not using any ports?
No disrespect on your use case, but I ask, then: Why don't you buy an iPad or IOS phablet and call it the day?

Because some people like to use both, i do the same for example i have an iPad Pro 12.9" a MacBook Pro from 2011 and an iMac from 2012, i don't use the ports on my Mac most of the time either, when editing video i do it on my iMac and upload directly to Youtube OR use Airdrop to share the footage.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Good move if Apple finally retires the MBA line. Personally I like the MBA name more than the plain MB, but Apple only needs one "entry" laptop line and one "upgraded" line. I hope Apple's newest is a true low end model. The existing MBA can be had as low as $750. That is an important price point for education (parents), even if it's still an expensive laptop compared to Windows 10 and Chrome. Better, sure, but really most kids are just typing out basic essays, reports, pie charts. Any Chromebook can do that. And Win 10 laptops can be had for a few bucks more. Hard to convince parents their middle or HS kid needs a $1K notebook when alternatives can be had for 70% less.

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So your a casual user editing home made videos for social sites.

You could do that on an iPad.

Because some people like to use both, i do the same for example i have an iPad Pro 12.9" a MacBook Pro from 2011 and an iMac from 2012, i don't use the ports on my Mac most of the time either, when editing video i do it on my iMac and upload directly to Youtube OR use Airdrop to share the footage.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Finally! It’s been odd that the cheaper, older, thicker computer (better in many cases, I’m sure) still has the “Air” title.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
If this kills the MacBook Air, the MacBook, and the MacBook Escape (13-inch Pro without Touch Bar), this is good. If this introduces yet another confusing alternative, it’s horrible. Apple needs to figure out their low-end MacBook story.

Reactions: tardegrade

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It’s entirely possible to replace the MacBook Air with something not called MacBook Air. But if Apple announces a cheaper device than the current Air and it has a retina screen and is still called MacBook Air then they need to fire their entire marketing staff.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Given Apple's track record when it comes to entry-level models, they might just keep the existing rMB but cut the price to make it the new MBA, and an improved rMB (more ports, a better CPU, who knows) will close the gap between the entry-level rMB and notbMBP.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.