Subtopic (Drugs) split from - [Pope rejects condom use in Africa]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kastenbrust, Mar 17, 2009.

1. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Mod Note: This topic was originally part of another thread but has now been made into it's own.

None of this matters, what we really should be doing is pressuring medicine companies to engineer cures for AIDS. Its in companies likes Pfizer's interest to NOT find a cure and to keep the rate of AIDS increasing so they can provide people their whole lives with retro viral drugs until they die, rather than curing them, as this generates more profit. Infact its their LEGAL obligation to NOT find a cure, as they are shareholder owned companies and curing people would damage their profits and this is illegal as its not in the shareholders best interests.

I wonder how much the Catholic Church donated to curing diseases like AIDS and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases in the past decade? If they didn't donate much then they dont have any right whatsoever to tell people what they should do or use during sex.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG], where to begin??? :confused:

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Gotta tell ya- I agree with some of what he said. There's no motive on the part of pharmaceutical companies to cure AIDS.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

No motive? It would be a huge marketing opportunity for the companies and a massive money maker. To name but a few.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Moreso than selling what they sell now? Seems to me they'd make a hell of a lot more money off it long-term if they merely treat it.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have always thought this about cancer. The reason there is no cure is because they don't want one. Insurance companies and drug companies make more money treating symptoms 100's of times rather than giving a cure once.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I trust science. I don't trust corporations.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But science gets money from corporations. Once there is a cure there is no more money.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- I think scientists genuinely want to find cures.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I can tell you categorically that there aren't cures for cancer being suppressed by economic interest.

Only some science and that's in addition to government grants and private donations. There isn't a cancer conspiracy. If there was you'd have every single medical professional screaming murder.

Except the money from the cure. Which would be very handsome.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think they do too, but I think there are higher powers in the way.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How much money do drug companies and insurers make a year on cancer patients? As long as there is big money to be had we won't have a cure. We can get guys boners but can't cure cancer?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? I wonder. How about oncologists?

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It completely depends on what the cancer patient has. They currently make a lot of money on "cures".

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well that is moving into conjucture so couldn't really give an answer but to claim there is no motive is moving into the relams of tin hats if you ask me. Yes they might not make as much money on that one drug but keeping people alive and ticking (not to mention loyal to the brand) will likely lead to increased sales of other drugs.

Was there any reason as to why they are trying to eliminate Lymphatic Filariasis after all if they just kept it plodding alone they could have a market there.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Absolutely. Every single oncology patient that dies or suffers under an oncologist's care is a horrible experience. No matter how long they've been in the game. I'd bet that you wouldn't find a single oncologist that wouldn't be happy to be out of work tomorrow.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trying makes it look like they are doing something positive. It doesn't mean they are trying very hard.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't know. Like I said, I trust science. I just don't trust corporations, especially the pharmaceutical industry. They've given us plenty of reason not to.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Would they be willing to give up their salary to find a cure?

Ok we are getting off topic, request a split.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Absolutely. Again I'd bet you wouldn't find a single oncologist that wouldn't be ecstatic to find a cure for a specific form of cancer. Treatments are constantly evolving and changing.

I don't know if your lack of medical understanding is showing but there are literally hundreds of different types of cancers. We have cures for many of them but for a lot we still don't. Finding a cure for one will not cause an oncologist to be out of a salary. Even when we find a cure for them all, an oncologist will still be required to make the diagnosis and oversee treatment.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And in so doing they would be the greatest racists of all time.

You and Lee have depressing views of the medical community. There would be whistle-blowers crawling out of the woodwork. This is not Apple in China, where they can control everything.

Prevention is always cheaper for Society.

Oh, another conspiracy theory in the making??

Beyond response. Have you ever met any??

They would not be, for sure. Healers, every one.

This is starting to sound like Anger. Have you lost a loved one to Cancer??

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have been mulling this over, if doctors want to help and hospitals are there to help. Why are the people that need the help the ones getting squeezed. To me it seems that everyone is making billions on the sick and it is getting worse with no real sign of a cure in sight. Drug companies make billions a year. They are in bed with the insurers. The hospitals are just in it to make money and don't care about the patient. So why not change focus and actually work for the patients who are sick and not to fill the pockets.

I have lost a lot of family to cancer. Add I am sick of hearing oh we are so close to a cure, that was 15 years ago.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The doctors most certainly are being squeezed as well. It's a reflection on the broken nature of your health system and nothing more.

Are you talking about a cure for a specific disease or a cure for your broken health system here? If it's the latter you appear correct.

Doctors and all allied health are the one's that focus on the patient. With all their abilities. Unfortunately they have to work within the confines of your health system. It sounds like what you're after is universal health care to reduce the power of the insurance and drug companies in undermining treatment.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

On the news the other day one of the local hospitals said they are losing money and not making a profit. I thought to myself wait you are supposed to help people not make money off of them. If you want to make money you are in the wrong business.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And that sentiment would have come from the hospital administration who were probably responding to pressure from shareholders or such. You'd do well to realise that the medical staff are a distinct entity - they don't get a split of the hopsitals profits. Again it's all down to your healthcare system.