Success stories of 2G on 3.0 unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dr_Maybe, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I have a a 2G iPhone on firmware 1.1.1. I would like to have v3.0 on my phone.

So are there any success stories of upgrading from version 1 to 3 and having an unlocked phone? Which method did you use?

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

3. jonjamesm macrumors regular

jonjamesm

yeah man - it was simples!

Though I'd like to hear what its doing to peoples battery life.

4. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Thanks. OK. I don't have an option to backup my iPhone in iTunes if I right-click it. Maybe because I'm still running iTunes 7.4.2? But in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup there is a folder that was modified today, when I synced my iPhone.

What version of iTunes should I install?

If I install a new version of iTunes won't I risk that it will re-lock my jailbroken, unlocked v.1.1.1 iPhone? That's the reason I'm still running 7.4.2 :eek:

If something goes wrong, can I restore it back so it's completely like it is now?

Did your battery life get worse?

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

You need iTunes 8.2 for this. No worries about re-locking, the 2G will always be unlockable.

I've noticed no problems on battery life since updating mine.

I am not sure you'll be able to get back to 1.1.1, but I really think you won't need to and won't want to. 3.0 rocks :)

6. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

I've upgraded my 2G iPhone to 3.0 and jailbroke and unlocked them. 3.0 runs very slowly, even without any Cydia apps installed. Push notifications aren't working, and P2P games aren't even supported! It's blindingly obvious that Apple is just very slowly phasing out the old phones, though they are still perfectly usable ones! Perhaps Apple should just release a new "iPhone S"! :D

7. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

Not slow for me, something else must be wrong. Try not restoring any backup. I have a 2g and 3g and they both seem to run about the same speed and definitely faster than 2.2.1.

8. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

It worked great! Running firmware 03 now. Installed an app from the official app store for the first time :)

Thanks mutton and everyone else.