Successful exchange for dings dents and scratches out of the box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kjparfekt, Sep 25, 2012.

1. kjparfekt macrumors regular

kjparfekt

Anyone had any success with an exchange for out of the box cosmetic damage? My launch day phone was delivered with a 1 inch scratch on the back plate and 2 substantial dings on the bezel (white Sprint 32 gb model). Went to the Apple store in Georgetown, Washington, DC and they agreed it was unacceptable and got me their last new Sprint phone unfortunately we noticed a small chip in the back plate, small ding in the bezel and discoloration near the charging port. E manager again agreed that it was unacceptable however they were out of stock.

No DC/NoVa Apple stores have stock so I'm not so patiently waiting from a call from the Georgetown store manager when they get new phones to facilitate an exchange. She said I have to exchange it in the first 30 days and it must be in the condition she saw it in, no damage caused by me

Hopefully others have had better luck with exchanges. Anyone tried an over the phone exchange? I'd be worried the new one would have defects given my experience and reading the message boards.

2. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'm in Syracuse ny and the apple store here went through 4 replacement iPhones that had blemishes out of the box before the fifth one was pretty much pristine. They had no problem opening up one after the other. The first had a dent in the metal near the mic, the second and third had scratches on the glass, the fourth had scratches on the sides and near the speaker. I called apple phone support ahead of time and the store took great care of me! They seemed a bit embarrassed that so many phones had defects.

3. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

I had a bunch on my phone, brought into the Freehold Raceway Mall, which was absolutely packed. The guy asked me a couple questions and he brought out a new one, which was perfect and I was on my way.

4. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Are you guys getting full retail box swaps or just phone swaps from the small white boxes?

5. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Think I'm going to swap mine tomorrow. Less for the dings on the bezel than for the small hair under the screen. Hardly noticeable, but today I saw it when the sun was hitting my screen with it on. It was catching it just right and I'm not willing to accept that one. I will ding it myself in time, so I wasn't worried about that part...

6. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

I got a full retail swap. Last 32GB on AT&T. Lucky me

7. kjparfekt thread starter macrumors regular

kjparfekt

I continued to be told no inventory in DC area stores on the phone but I might have to go back to a store and hope they magically have stock to prevent a customer from complaining in front of other customers.