Suckers: Betraying Progressives, DNC Platform Backs Fracking, TPP, and Israel Occupation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jun 27, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Democrats on Friday voted down an amendment to the party's platform that would have opposed the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, avoiding an awkward scenario that would have put its statement of values at odds with President Barack Obama.

The committee also defeated an amendment by Sanders supporter James Zogby that would have called for providing Palestinians with "an end to occupation and illegal settlements" and urged an international effort to rebuild Gaza, as well as a national moratorium on fracking. Basically, the DNC gave the big fat finger to Bernie supporters.

All Bernie Bros will reject the DNC and their Corporatist Whores.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Odd, I didn't see all the things listed that Berniew got into the platform. My bad, @aaronvan started the thread.

3. Robisan macrumors 6502

Honestly, who cares what a platform says? It had exactly ZERO effect on elections or governing.

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

What are those? A carbon tax? Single Payer healthcare? A $15 minimum wage tied to inflation?

All rejected.

Over the weekend I received two telephone calls from major Bernie organizers asking me to tell them about Gary Johnson (they knew I voted for him in 2012.)

Very interesting.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Low information voters rely on. The alleged party platforms. SUCKERS

6. Robisan macrumors 6502

Low information voters don't even know what a platform is.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Can we just drop a nuke on the Capitol building already?

8. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

DNC HQ isn't in the Capital Building.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Having the DNC support garbage doesn’t vindicate the RNC for supporting the same garbage. Both parties need to go.

10. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

No argument there. In fact, I'm putting my vote where my mouth is and voting for neither the GOP or the Demo candidate.

11. Robisan macrumors 6502

Here's a more balanced description of what occurred. Worth noting that four of Sanders’s five representatives on the drafting committee have endorsed the outcome.

Over the weekend, Democrats on the convention’s Platform Drafting Committee announced a series of compromises that represent meaningful, serious concessions to Sanders. Dave Weigel has a good rundown: The draft language (which has not been released in full) includes a general commitment to the idea of a $15-per-hour minimum wage, a compromise commitment to some sort of “updated” Glass Steagall financial regulation and to breaking up too-big-to-fail institutions; and a full-throated commitment to ending the era of mass incarcerations. It also includes a multimillionaire surtax and support for the principle that universal health care should be a right.

On top of all that, the draft includes a commitment to expanding Social Security benefits. And that is not a small thing. The idea of expanding Social Security was long dismissed as a fringe proposal even among many Democrats until only recently. That it is now in the platform shows that Sanders’ campaign and economic worldview has had a real impact on party doctrine and priorities.

True, Sanders did not get everything he wanted. As Sanders said in a statement, the Platform Drafting Committee, which contains five representatives for Sanders, six for Clinton, and four for the DNC, nixed a definitive pledge to support specific legislative language on the $15 minimum wage. It also voted down a proposal to keep the Trans-Pacific Partnership from coming up for a vote in this Congress (though that’s somewhat understandable since such a vote would have bucked President Obama), as well as nixing a carbon tax and a fracking ban.

But four of Sanders’s five representatives on the committee have endorsed the outcome, as Weigel notes. Indeed, one of those representatives, Dem Rep. Keith Ellison, who is one of Sanders’s most prominent backers in Congress, has hailed the compromise for producing “significant accomplishments that move our party firmly towards justice, fairness, and inclusion.” Though Ellison agreed that the outcome was not perfect, he said: “The platform draft is the strongest progressive statement to come from the Democratic Party in years.”​

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

They didn't go out of they're way to make that a difficult decision..

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Party Platforms mean almost nothing. And on those issues mentioned in the thread switching to the Republicans wouldn't lead you to be supporting a party with a platform that is any different, but the Democrats do support more things that will matter to progressives. If you want to force it to be all or nothing you will most likely end up with nothing, so instead it is better to compromise and get at least some of what you want.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

We have the Demicans and the Republicrats. In many ways, one and the same.