Suddenly battery is not doing well. Any advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TallGuy1970, May 11, 2012.

1. TallGuy1970, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I hope the title of thread doesn't scare people away thinking it's another bad battery life thread. I am actually seeking advice.

About 3 days ago, my wife noticed her iPhone battery was not working like it should. Her phone was losing its charge quickly. I had her perform a hard reset and told her to watch it. The next day it was better, but not what it used to be. I personally inspected her phone - including the location services, email settings, bluetooth settings, wi-fi settings, and then did a network reset. They all looked good and were almost identical to the settings on my phone, which has great battery life.

In speaking with her, the only thing that has changed in how she uses her phone is that her office now has wi-fi. Is there something in that wi-fi that could be hurting her battery? I checked her usage levels and yesterday it said she had used the phone for 6 hours, but she swears she had not been talking or using data that often. Could the wi-fi at her office be constantly sending or requesting info from her phone that would cause such readings?

I am little stumped here. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

2. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Our office has horrible reception, so the phone is constantly in roaming mode. This kills our battery life. If you can go without your phone for a day (which I doubt you can) have her bring yours to her work and see if the same situation happens. There is nothing about a wifi network that would cause any more or less drain than any other network (with negligible differences based on signal strength). The only other difference could be mail accounts and sync settings for them. I have 6 email addresses set for push, I have wifi enabled 24/7, never use bluetooth and make about 30 minutes worth of calls every day and my battery can squeak by from 5:30 am when i wake up to 11:00 when I go to bed. Every now and then it'll be an especially busy day and I'll need to charge on my drive home.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Turn of her WiFi for a day an see if it makes a difference.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

do as noteple says.

My office has wi-fi however I sit in the wayyy back in the corner. If I leave my wi-fi on (as in it will connect as it finds a network) it's constantly connecting/disconnecting to the company wireless effectively draining my battery much quicker. I would highly recommend having her turn off wifi entirely (at work) for a couple of days and see if the issue persists. Keep in mind the wifi signal indicator on the phone isn't 100% accurate and even if it *looks* like she has 2/3 bars of wifi (one would think would be a sufficient signal), it very well could be flaking in and out on her when she's not looking.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I used to have great battery life then about a month and a half ago it started draining much faster and I hadn't installed any new apps or changed my settings during that time.

I've kept Wifi off for months as I have a 6Gb data plan and Wifi barely reaches my room at home and the signal is poor. However, a few days ago I reset my network settings and the next day I had great battery life as before. But the battery life seems to be diminishing again and seems like it's getting worse everyday again.

Not sure what to do, but I'll try to reset network settings more often to see if that's a solution. You can try doing the same. Not sure if this is any help, but just letting you know there are others with similar problems I guess.

PS: I decided to reset network settings because I happened to be in a poor 3G zone for a day so I turned off 3G and stayed on Edge all day and had great battery life so I thought there would be something wrong with the network settings