Suddenly takes 20 or more seconds for MBP I7 17" to go into sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejosepha, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

I don't know why, but after skyping with a friend, or maybe it's just a co-incidence, it now takes forever, or more than 20-30 seconds for computer to go into sleep mode. Before that it was almost immediate, or within seconds the screen would go off and then just a a little more time to enter sleep.
    Now I enter the sleep mode and the computer stays as is for way too long, and then finally the display goes off and then backlight turns off and then finally into sleep.

I reset SMC and repaired permissions, but no result. Otherwise computer works as normal. Any advice on how to repair this or return to original sleep mode timing?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Identical issue. Appears to be random. But seems more frequent when TimeMachine is backing up, but not always. A fix to this would be much appreciated!

3. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Just noticed this on my 15" i7 (w/ MCE Optibay SSD) yesterday....

4. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't know if this is relevant, but all three of us have SSDs. It just suddenly started for me today.

5. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

6. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't think that skype is really relevant here. Just to add that in the Console window from Utilities I see there is a repetition of Time Machine comments. Don't know if this is relevant, but I haven't backed up for many weeks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

7. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Check your printer queue..I noticed some time ago that my 13" MBP was having the same issue - I then noticed that I had a printing job that had been on hold sitting in my queue - once i deleted that job, it would then go to sleep at normal..

to find and check the printer queue, open:
    System Prefs --> Print & Fax --> Open Print Queue.. and then delete all jobs.

let me know if that helps..

8. tonywang.xmpt macrumors member

that happened to me once
    and yeah,
    this was the problem for the sudden lag.
    after you fix this,
    it'll go back to normal :]

9. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

That was the problem. Boy I even downloaded SmartSleep and had to uninstall it (it didn't help and was difficult to finally uninstall). thank so much.

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I did find a job in the list, but it made no difference. I still have a period where my keyboard backlighting will shut off, but the display will stay active. I went as far as to shut down TimeMachine. Still no luck. Granted, it didn't take the full 30seconds experienced rarely, but took a good 10seconds... Strangely, when I just shut the lid, it instantly sleeps, but when commanded to sleep, the MBP takes its sweet time...