Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
I'm in the market for an iPod but I'm not sure which one to buy. Was hoping the experienced could help me with my decision.

All I need in the 10GB really. But I'm wondering if it's worthwhile purchasing the 20GB for the dock and remote. What's the advantage of the dock (other than obviously giving the iPod a nice place to sit while charging and synching)? Does anyone have the remote but not find it useful?

Just don't want to spend the extra cash if I don't need to. Wanna save that for the next generation of iPods.

Thanks!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
definitely go 20. the added accessories are very nice, plus you double your space for only 100$ more. i think within a year or two you will likely find that you find use for the rest of the iPod. whether it's backing up your hard drive or just expanding your library, having extra room is always nice :)

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
plus, youll kill yourself later if you end up wanting the case, dock, and remote. If you buy a 10, and then decide that you do want the accessories, you pay $120 +tax!!! just get the 20gb, you get the $120 worth of accessories AND a hard drive that is 2x as big for only $100. Trust me, i have a 2nd gen 10gb, the one that it replaced, and the case is indespensable. let us know what you decided.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by crap freakboy
Totally agree. My 15Gb seems just 3 Gb short of being the perfect size. 40Gb seems overkill. Go with the 20Gb...you just gotta get the extras.
if you'd had the 20 GB, i bet in 6 months you'd be saying the same thing about it (i need 3 more GB, then it's perfect!)

SLJ

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
i was in the market for an iPod 20GB, but guess what... a big shortage on it... I went to 4 different Apple shop... no ETA as well.... ARHHHHH

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Yeah I say go for at least the 20. It's a lot of space. I've got a 30gb, with currently 2700+ songs on it, and it still has 12gb free! :D

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Getting closer to the purchase

Ahhh, thanks everyone. You're all good kids. Don't care what anyone else says about ya!

So I think 20GB will be the way to go. Another question though...if I don't have the dock is there still a line-out to hook it up to your stereo?

Icekey

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Although I'm waiting for my 20 gig iPod to arrive, I know some stuff about it already =)

Without a dock, you won't be able to get the ideal clean sound coming into your stereo. The sound is amplified to go to your headphones, which won't sound that good when going into the stereo. If you're wanting to connect to a stereo, definately use the line-out from the dock

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
buy what you need

Personally, I upgraded from a 5GB that I couldn't quite fill, and I've found the 10 suited me just fine. The dock has no value add as my primary system is a laptop and I couldn't see dragging anything more than a cable around. The case I didn't like and the remote I didn't use.

So $100 for an extra 10 gig of space? Nah, I'll never use it for music and I'd rather take the $100 and buy an external firewire HD if I need backup space...

...Jim

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Good points...

Well plutnicki brings up some valid points. I don't think I'd use the case. And I'm not really sure on the remote. Would prefer to carry around as few pieces as possible really.
And I don't think I really need the extra 10GB of space. So it just leaves the dock. Is it worth the extra $?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'd go 10 GB. I don't know about you, but my music library hardly expands fast enough to need another 10 gigs in a year or two, so unless you'd be full to the brim with a 10 GB as of right now, I don't think you need the extra space.

Also, many people find the remote buggy and of poor quality. I personally wouldn't use one.

As for the case, the apple supplied cases are not very good. I'd get a 3rd party case myself.

So that leaves the dock. Which, if you decide you want it, can be had for $40.

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Buy the 10 if you want and get the tap from compusa and if you want a bigger one you can upgrade later thats what I did i got the 10 3g when it came out and now I have a 30 I just had to pay an extra 200- including new tap to upgrade from a 10 to a 30 once the 40 came out the 30 was 50 off. God bless tap it is the best thing I have seen an electronic store do. I would never buy an Ipod anywhere else because of the tap warrenty

SLJ

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2003
Australia
is it true that the dock have a better sound quality output then the iPod itself? Because I am planning to plug my iPod into my stereo, tooo...

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
id deffently go for the 20gig if i had firewire id use it as a spare hardrive let alone music ... mind you if i had firewire id go for 40 gig as i only have 6 gig drive as it is

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Originally posted by Icekey
Without a dock, you won't be able to get the ideal clean sound coming into your stereo. The sound is amplified to go to your headphones, which won't sound that good when going into the stereo. If you're wanting to connect to a stereo, definately use the line-out from the dock

This is Bull! I have a 2nd generation Ipod and use it a lot with my audio system through the headphone line out. My audio system is pretty good with a couple of Bose 901 speakers, so you hear almost every imperfections on it. The sound from the pod is perfect! I do put the EQ out.

And several times the consumersguide in the Netherlands tested the ipod with audio systems through the headphone line out and the ipod came out as best buy every time and the only mp3 player for use with an audio system!

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by Dreadnought
This is Bull! I have a 2nd generation Ipod and use it a lot with my audio system through the headphone line out. My audio system is pretty good with a couple of Bose 901 speakers, so you hear almost every imperfections on it. The sound from the pod is perfect! I do put the EQ out.

And several times the consumersguide in the Netherlands tested the ipod with audio systems through the headphone line out and the ipod came out as best buy every time and the only mp3 player for use with an audio system!

lol, you're going to get ripped to shreds for saying bose as having a good set of speakers! It seems to be as bad as criticising anything Apple on these forums. I think bose is good for surround sound in badly shaped (or simply bad acoustics) rooms, but they certainly won't reproduce a sound as it was initially intended.
Back to the subject, get the 20gb if you have the extra cash. Its simply a little more future-proof if anything. And you can have the dock connected to your stereo all the time so you only have to place the iPod in the dock, rather than having to unplug the headphone first before plugging in the cable that leads to the stereo.

Panopticon

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Toronto, ON, Canada
I have the 15GB iPod with the dock, etc. Its now (what they've upgraded to) the 20GB model.

Sure the remote is useful if you're putting the iPod in your coat or backpack, etc. But apart from that, I find I never use it. The dock is cool too but I've found that I have problems with the dock that don't arise when I directly connect the device to the connector. The dock now sits by my stereo for when I want to listen to a tonne of music without fumbling with the CDs.

I've also found that 15GB is a huge amount of space for my stuff. Currently the iPod has about 2800 songs on it with 3.5GB left (AAC format). When it came to converting my CD library, I found myself ommitting a lot of the songs from a lot of the discs.

The other problem I found is if your iPod crashes and you need to update your whole library, (mine anyhow - on a G3 450) hangs after 2500 or so songs... its a pain in the but.

Hope that helps.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
This is my personal iPod buying experience:

I bought a 10 GB iPod 3 days ago. While the 20 GB was very tempting, I had to be realistic with what I needed.

Personally, I have 4 GB of music, so 10 GB would give me enough to expand in time. The case that you get with the 20 GB version is worthless, and I would end up buying another case, which would be an extra 20.00, bringing the price to over 460.00 with tax. I would rather save the money and have my ipod laying down on my desk than paying the money and having it be upright with the dock. I do, however, think I will end up buying the remote, which puts the price of the 10GB, for me, at around 380.00

I would much rather save the 80.00 and buy some extra accessories than payr the extra money and get accessories that I was never going to need or that I would replace.

-Capt Underpants

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Creative

The creative Nomad has all the functions of the iPod, has both iEEE1394(by adapter) and USB2.0 support, is cheaper and is available in a 60GB model.

Remember apple has large overheads and people who use apples blindly rarely look elsewhere for competitive products, hence they jack the prices.

40GB iPod $499 (http://www.apple.com)
60GB Creative Nomad $408 (http://www.compuplus.com)
(prices in USD)

I'll let your pocket decide

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Manitoubalck,

Why are you always critisising things from the macworld and always mention (crappy) pc counterparts???? Are you just jealous that you don't have an Apple or something?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.