Suggestion of Book(s) to buy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by acearchie, Jun 5, 2010.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I won a prize at my school and I have been given £30 ($45ish?) worth of book(s).

I am fairly new to photography but have taken a real shine to film and have been shooting lomo and medium format with my Hasselblad.

I am looking for maybe a sort of tips book. One I can keep on returning to and will help me shoot a wide range of photographs.

I have access to a really good library near by and therefore am not really looking for a "one-read" book to understand a theory or technique.

I know I am being pretty specific but I wouldn't normally spend money on books as the internet has most of the things I need so I want to make sure that I make full use of the money I've earned!

Cheers

2. MacRodster macrumors member

Understanding Exposure - probably one of the best out there: http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ8wIwAA#

3. toxic macrumors 68000

Ansel Adams:
    The Camera
    The Negative
    The Print

Michael Freeman: The Photographer's Eye

beyond that, I would buy books specific to the type of photography you want to do.

4. Gold89 macrumors 6502

5. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Agreed, Bryan Peterson writes a very informative book. They didn't have Understanding Exposure at my local library so I ended up getting the Field Guide. Actually just finished it too. It's a very easy read, and he explained things in such a way that they very clear.

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think this book looks a little bit more at the US system "how to survive an audit etc!" Also I am keen on photography as a hobby at the moment but this maybe something that I am interested in the future.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

The understanding exposure book looks good and I think I may have got a first edition version of the book out from my school library not so long ago.

Does anyone know where I could see a few sample pages just to get an idea of how the book reads and its use of pictures etc...

These suggestions are really helpful! Keep them coming!

7. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

8. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Not sure what you mean by "audit" but this book is about how to value your photography and not screw over yourself and other photographers. I'm gonna stand by it as a valid suggestion. How many hobbyists later decide they want to try to make money with their photography? It seems like a lot.

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

10. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

i have read and re-read "Learning to see creatively" and its an honest to god amazing book :) got it for 10 bucks off of amazon with prime shipping overnight :).

11. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for all your help selecting the books.

I managed to spend £30.30 buying the following books!

• 1 of: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera, Bryan Peterson
      Condition: New
      Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
      £10.31
    • 1 of: The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos, Michael Freeman
      £10.62
    • 1 of: Master Shots: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie, Christopher Kenworthy
      £9.37

12. MacRodster macrumors member

Thats a great set you got there! Enjoy!