Suggestions for monitor w/speakers & audio through DisplayPort?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidg4781, Jul 2, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm looking for an external monitor for my MBP. I'd love an LED Cinema Display but won't use it enough to justify it.

I've been looking one that has speakers and that I can pass the audio through DisplayPort to have less wires cluttering up my desk. Can anyone recommend one? The ones I've seen have 2W per channel which I though might be ok but the new TBD have something like 20W.

Or would I be better off buying separate speakers? I don't want wall shaking sound but I'd like to be able to put on music or a podcast and be able to comfortably listen to it throughout my apartment. Or maybe enjoy a nice game.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Several display port monitors have audio out where you can connect a decent set of powered speakers. The display port cable carries the audio from the Mac to the monitor where the speakers are connected.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Good thinking! Never even thought of that. I'll definitely have to look for those. It'd be nice to have internal speakers now but then be able to upgrade to some great speakers later on.

Any suggestions on a manufacturer? Samsung seems to be pretty reliable.

Do I HAVE to get IPS? I've seen older Apple displays, along with my MBP, are TFT and I've never had issues, although I don't do anything that requires great color perfection.

4. needscissors61 macrumors newbie

TFT stands for 'thin film transistor' and merely represents the technology used to conduct the liquid crystal material inside of your display. In other words, all modern LCD displays are TFT LCD's.

It's easy to confuse this because different panel types exist within the LCD realm (IPS, VA, TN) So, your macbook pro actually has a TFT LCD with an IPS panel.

An easy way to remember the differences between the panel types as you shop is as follows: (generalizations)

TN = blazing fast response times, weak viewing angles and black levels

IPS = superior color reproduction and saturation, excellent viewing angles, average to great black level

VA - better viewing angles than TN, superior black levels, slow response time, occasional smearing.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ahh, ok, that sorta makes sense.

So for some casual gaming, a bit of editing in iMovie, and web browsing and stuff, what would be the best for me? I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to buy something that I'll be disappointed with.

I wouldn't mind buying a used 24" LED Cinema Display though, as you get the whole docking with MBP thing and higher resale value.

6. ColdCase, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

27 inch monitors seem to be the sweet spot at the moment. Many good ones are sub $300.

Below are examples of 27 inch monitors, perhaps look at the reviews. The LG, ASUS, BENQ brands are decent. The basic 27 inch Dell is just a bit more than $300. These have DP and built in speakers, dunno about audio out..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Value=7081:43774&PropertyCodeValue=1100:10794

This monitor is probably a good one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005495

This monitor may be better with speakers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014300

These two don't have display port, however. You could use HDMI.